ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Using Mobile Antenna At Home

Jul 13th 2018, 09:25

WD1E

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have a Baofeng BF-F9 V2+ handheld transceiver. I live on an island and have to use mainland repeaters. I had the idea to use a Nagoya UT-108 mobile antenna mounted on the housing of an air conditioner in one of my second floor bedrooms to add elevation to reach more repeaters. I've received phone calls from people who have heard me on receivers over 25 miles away. But I have never heard an incoming signal. I do not run the air conditioner when I am sending or attempting to receive. Is there something about mounting the antenna that interferes with receiving a signal? Is the fact that I assume the antenna is grounded by virtue of the three-prong electrical plug effecting my reception. If there is a magnet in the motor or condenser, is that attracting incoming signals away from the antenna. Since I have two handhelds, I have experimented by sending to myself. I am successful receiving with the handheld with a Nagoya 771 AND with the handheld with the UT-108? I don't know what else to do.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn