ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Ethiopian jamming wiping out 40 meters

Oct 6th 2011, 04:37

W0BTU

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
There's an Eritrean AM broadcast station operating in the 40 meter phone bands. That wouldn't be so bad, but the Ethiopian jammer that follows them around regularly wipes out large sections of the spectrum.

Just now (0420 GMT) the jammer was S8 between 7166 and 7185. Almost 20 kHz of the phone band is being wiped out.

This subject comes up regularly on eHam, amfone, and QRZ.

I'm sure the ARRL already knows about this. Can anything be done about this?

EDIT (0600 GMT): Now the jammer is wiping out 7225 through 7237. (This is the highest frequency that I have observed them at.)

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com
Oct 6th 2011, 10:49

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

I will pass this along to our OO coordinator, Chuck Skolaut, N0BOG.

WB1GCM
Jan 6th 2015, 18:27

KC2QYM

I know this is four years later...The short answer is NO. What can anyone do to stop the abuse of amateur radio spectrum outside the US and especially in some backward, civil war society like Ethiopia..and even in the US it takes too long for the FCC to do anything. There is constant abuse and loss of use of amateur frequencies perpetrated by experimental long range radar stations, SW broadcasters, and US and foreign militaries. And nobody can do anything about it.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn