ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Antenna switch

Oct 4th 2018, 14:53

KK4LYQ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
New guy Old man
My rig has 4 antenna outlets. HF, 50 MHZ, VHF and UHF.
I homebrewed a 2M/70Cm J-Pole that I'd like to use when working the local repeaters in mid Florida. I can hit Walt Disney, Lake Wales, the "big sticks" along I75 and Tampa.
I'd like to be able to "flip da switch" back and forth between UHF and VHF but all the coaxal switches I've found ground the non-selected arm of the "Y". Doesn't seem a good idea to ground the antenna outlet of my rig.

I'd like to feed the "leg"of the Y and have a dummy load attached to the arm that is not selected.

Does such an animal exist or do I need to start cross breeding?
Thanks
Bill -KK4LYQ
Oct 5th 2018, 08:16

W1VT

Super Moderator

You are looking for a coaxial transfer switch.

https://www.dowkey.com/product-category/rf-switch/coaxial-switches/transfer-dpdt/
In the past I've purchased transfer relays at hamfests. Mechanically operated switches are harder to find.

Zak Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Nov 18th 2018, 17:06

WA8NVW

That's an ideal application for a dual-band 2M/440 coupler, available from most amateur radio dealers. Just connect the 2M port to the VHF Tx output, the 440 MHz port to the UHF Tx output, and the feedline for the dual-band antenna to the antenna port. No manual switching or dummy load required, and your rig can listen on both bands simultaneously!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn