ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Mounting HF Vertical to leg of tower

Oct 12th 2011, 20:53

n8chr8

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have a 5 band vertical that is now ground mounted. I would like to get it up a bit higher. What can I expect to happen if I mount it to one leg of my tower? Insulated from? Not insulated from? Radials? no radials? Can I make a mount and mount a few inches from the tower? No, can't get it up on top. Just thought I would get on my roof and go that high. Comments, Question?
Thanks Tom N8CHR
Oct 14th 2011, 05:54

KE8DO

Hello Tom
Can you give more information about your tower and antenna? What is the model of the antenna? How high is your tower? What antennas do you already have on it? How high to you plan to side mount the vertical? The tower can take the place of having radials or you could still use the radials. The tower is going to have a big effect on the antenna matching and pattern. I would try and get it as far from the tower as you can. You could use a computer antenna modeling program to see what the effects would be. You may be better off just mounting it on your roof and putting down the radials on your roof or just above it, as I did at my last house. That way the matching and pattern would still be more like you have now.
73 Don KE8DO
Oct 14th 2011, 15:47

W1VT

Super Moderator

This is typically a two step process--first you figure out how to accurately design/model the vertical in a normal installation. The next step is to then take those skills to design the modified antenna mounted on a tower.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn