ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Grounding station vs Vertical Antenna and tower

Oct 28th 2018, 12:56

VE3SR

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Have a question and asking for information/opinion on using the same ground for the station equipment with the tower. Currently running a cable to the ground rod and tower, then to an additional series of grounds each 8 feet apart and 8 feet deep - 8 additional grounds.

The next issue is if I used the tower as a 160 meter shunt fed tower. Should the tower ground be separate from the station ground and the series of ground rods.

Or is it permissible to attach all ground systems beginning at the tower as a single ground system for the entire station as it is currently without a shunt fed tower
Oct 29th 2018, 10:26

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://www.rack-a-tiers.com/16136/cec-versus-nec/
According to the CEC a grounding conductor is the main electrode driven into the ground, which protects the electrical equipment from overloading when a power surge occurs or lightning strikes the electrical wires. This would be called a grounding electrode conductor by the NEC.

According to the NEC a grounded conductor is a wire which runs through the electrical system, commonly referred to as a neutral wire, and serves as a current return path for electrical services. This is what the CEC refers to as an identified conductor.

You need to have an entrance panel where all the conductors entering the station are bonded together. I got a call from someone who had a lot of damage from lightning because he neglected to do anything with the rotator cable. I have gas discharge tubes between all the rotator cable wires and the copper plate that I use.

You need to bond all the grounds together. If they aren't, lightning can cause a lot of damage getting to the best ground to make its exit. Especially if it travels through the house to get there.

The ARRL Grounding and Bonding book may help you.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

Oct 29th 2018, 20:08

WA0CBW

Normally ground rods are spaced twice their length apart. 8-foot ground rods would be placed 16 feet apart for maximum effectiveness. The NEC also requires all external ground rods be connected to the building main electrical ground.
Bill
Mar 31st 2021, 11:42

K5RGK

I've been inactive/dormant for many years, actually several decades, now reviving interest in ham hobby. Much has changed in ham radio since '60s, lots to learn, new technology, equipment and regulations!
Our main electrical panel is in interior wall near center of house, slab floor, panel ground rod through concrete slab below panel. Power feed is buried under slab and 200+ feet west to meter on utility pole. Planning to put a Hy-Tower AV-18HT ~50 feet east of house, ham shack on 2nd floor in bonus room within trusses. Will have 6 - 8' ground rods at Hy-Tower base, another near house foundation where cable(s) & #3 ground wire follow exterior wall up to/through attic to shack.
We built this house in 2012; I have a #10 ground wire from panel ground rod up to low-volt panel (Phone/TV/LAN cables) in shack room wall, which continues on outside to ground rod at foundation wall.
I'm reading and learning from ARRL's Grounding and Bonding book, searching for best way to deal with multiple, distant ground rods, wishing I had access and heavier wire to that (now hidden) panel ground rod. Any suggestions, moving forward?
--Ron KA5ITO@ARRL.net

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn