ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Questionable readings and seeking advice

Jan 9th 2019, 08:43

KG5WKO

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
After accident my ham stick dipole lost one half. Just on curiosity turned it into what was to be a vertical. 4 feet off ground on PVC pipe. three radials(?) or counterpoise these are readings Z=50,swr=1.09 at 28.335 MHz,r=48.5 ohms, Xc=1298 mf, Xl=(-4.4 ohms), I am being told its good but my gut says not! OK for new ham what is going on? I am not risking finals to toy with it. Also resonant frequency way above swr frequency by many megahertz. Other than scrap it any advice?
Jan 10th 2019, 08:07

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.gqrp.com/resistive_swr_bridge.pdf
One way to test an antenna with a low power radio that has delicate finals is to use a resistive SWR bridge for testing.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jan 10th 2019, 09:07

KG5WKO

Check local community see if one is available but my pure gut instinct is this is not a vertical but a end fed with counterpoise and absent a coupling network or unun I think experiment is over and back to my safe Inverted vee with balun and I thank you for the reply. I like to tinker so just try to salvage accident.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn