ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Brain injury and Ham radio

Apr 8th 2019, 23:17

WX7DX

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
In 1990 I suffered a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). I was driving truck and I bounced my head off the ground and could no longer do what I did. I used C.B. a lot while on the road and that carried over to being a hobby. One day it was suggested I get a ham radio lic.93 or 94??

My first lic.call was Kc7Kpa then got the bug to get a Vanity lic. and I found on internet Wx7Dx applied and received and love it. Oct 2014 smashed in to from behind and had the brain scrambled even more. I know. Chear up things could be worse. Sure nuff things got worse Lots more problems with reasoning and thinking and have not been on the air Since. In the last month or so I have found a new interest in ham radio. Bought a 991A by yaesu and a cpl of 2 meter mobiles.. Snow is finally gone so now I need to get things going. Fear is a big part of TBI. Fear of nothing. Fear of Everything. Sometime talk to much and put out to much info about self. Sometimes get words mixed up and have a real problem with short term memory. Names, Callsigns etc. Just have to see where life on the air goes from here. See you on the radio. No I don't do code. Hurts to much.
D.E. Wx7Dx
Apr 10th 2019, 10:10

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Good to hear that you are still ion the air despite two TBIs!

You may want to consider getting on FT8 using the WSJT program. It can be set to autocomplete short digital contacts so short term memory isn't as big an issue as it is with other modes.

https://www.coffeesecurity.com/2018/09/30/setup-ft-8-digital-mode-for-yaesu-ft-991a/
With new radios like your Yaesu, you can just install the software and connect the computer to the radio via the USB cable. No need for an interface box or audio cables!

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn