ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Suggest an "Affiliated Clubs" forum

Oct 22nd 2011, 23:14

W3BC

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
This year, my Director invited me to participate in the Division Cabinet meeting where one of the topics was, "Clubs: Where the Rubber Meets the Road." As a publisher of a seven-club newsletter, I was encouraged by the recognition that local clubs are the focus of local activity. Along with many others, I am convinced that the most important local resource for Amateur Radio is the local amateur radio club. It is through the clubs that licensing classes and exams are offered, operating activities are promoted and carried out, Public Service activities are organized and a lot of fun is had.

Sadly, membership in many clubs is falling off, and the activity levels are dropping. A forum where club leaders could discuss successful ideas for promoting club activities, attracting and retaining members, and rejuvenating their members' activity levels would be a very important and well-received addition to these forums.

I'm available for help in any way, and I praise your efforts so far with this forum project. Let's hope it keeps its positive, forward momentum, and I'm sure it will from all the helpful hams I've seen here so far!

Joe W3BC
www.parasiticemission.com
May 28th 2014, 21:39

NE1LL

Joe, I agree 99.9%. There should be a whole club section. One of the bad things is there are really good clubs and really bad clubs. The ARRL really needs to audit clubs either on a scheduled basis, randomly or on complaints. Locally we have a club that "lost" their by-laws, didn't do a treasurers report for years (5-12) and just generally fell apart. With no real standards these clubs continue into perpetuity.
May 31st 2014, 17:45

N4MAV

Bill and Joe,
I have to agree with the audits, but we also have a problem with the politics of this also. While I will not go into details, people have been dismissed when certain others have gotten into office no matter the one being dismissed is the best for the job. To be frank, if it happened here I'd just kiss the whole thing off and say goodby to them. But it would destroy our Club in the process. As it has done to other organizations here in South Western Virginia.
Russ, KG4MAV

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn