ARRL

Secure Site Login

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

What to do with an old CB Rig?

Jul 27th 2019, 17:05

WB5EMX

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I just came home with a CB rig. I've noticed that they are for sale all over the place, and the asking price is usually $50. I was almost out of money, so I got mine for $14. Now my plan is to move it down to 10 meters, and get some crystals for the sideband area and some for the AM area. If this was standardized, I'd know what crystals to buy. Yes, I know that crystals are hard to come by. But If a fair number of people wanted crystals cut to standardized frequencies, we just might bring back crystal production for a little while, or maybe I can make one of those Signetics oscillators work in this thing. At any rate, CB rigs are cheap, and this appears to be some kind of opportunity for those of you who own a Grid Dip Oscillator! Bob, WB5EMX
Feb 8th, 10:37

WD3D

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I've pondered this question for months, trying to come up with an answer that would not offend some or all the people on this forum.
Having looked at your license, I seen that you are an advanced class haM - Robert, so I have to assume that the reason why you have held on to your Advanced Class license and did not upgrade to Extra is because you felt that your license is some sort of badge of honor, because you had to pass a code test to get your upgrade.
So this should mean that you also had to learn schematics and know a little about electronics, at least long enough to pass the tests to get the license.
But then again, they have not issued an Advanced Class License in a long time, so for the most part, the technology has moved on.
Amateur Radio - in the early days, did not involve being a "CHEAP" Person, just frugal - and only then, because of the Great Depression 1929 - 39, which was replaced by World War II - which limited the use of amateur radio for the most part to those licensed VHF by the war board, or those employed by Uncle Sammy.
After World War II - it was not a matter of being Frugal, but of the fact that there was a lot of surplus WW II equipment out there, less than 5 years old, some of it was never even taken out of its wrapper. A ingenious person could purchase a surplus tank or aircraft radio for as little as $15.00: build a power supply, do some conversions, and be on the air with a small investment.
But lest we forget, there was hundreds of thousands of trained technicians out there that was trained by Uncle Sammy that taught them how to use them and how to repair them and special factories that made the tubes and chassis, so the technology - although complex, was mostly all point to point soldering and laid out in a fashion that allowed it to be serviced, and it was designed for HF use. The Generalities of saying - I bought an old "CB" radio, and I wish to convert it to the ham bands to me is like an actor on TV saying - give me a light beer. What kind? What Make? What Model? Is it tube type? Is it solid state? What kind of shape is it in? A simple web search will reveal several old cb radio forums, with members that will divulge their knowledge of old crystals, the IF of the radio and specifics of that model.

Now my question to you is - since you are an advanced class license, what is your electronics background? Do you even have one? What test equipment do you own?

Remember - we are Hams - we have a license and we have rules - set forth in the Part 97, sub part 15 that must be followed.

This is a forum for AM, and you mentioned SSB, is it a true SSB radio? What forum of supression does it use to filter out the other side band? Or is it like my Regency Range Gain - that only filters out the carrier? Then again, a tube type SSB radio usually costs hundreds of dollars - not $14

A story related to this topic, I know of a guy that had one of those old chipset radios with multiple switches to switch it up to 28 Megs, and when he got it there, it would only manage to put out 1 watt into a true 50 ohm dummy load, any mismatch at all and the finals would get hot and fail.

Going back to the days of your license, the colpitts and hartley circuits you had to hand draw and the values of the components you had to know off the top of your head. You should realize that a radio transmitter is a tuned circuit and when you change the frequency you also have to change the tank circuit to bring it back in tune. it isn't as simple as just sticking in a different crystal.

http://www.cbcintl.com/docs/xtals.htm?fbclid=IwAR0nYIGy-EKDMg4FX2e0njiwvnR1jWcNfhfdNbo-2e6XnbLQmEfHDWR6WUk

Hope this helps you..

Please do not forget, if this CB radio you are talking about is tube type, to be very careful, there are high voltages involved inside those radios that can kill you!!!!!