ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Kenwood TW-4000A overheater?

Aug 27th 2019, 20:46

KN6CWJ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
This is a continuation of my immersion in to ham radio and working with a very old Kenwood TW-4000a. With the assistance of member of the forum community I was able to power up the Kenwood and there were signs that it was working. Next with the assistance of others I built a 2-meter J-pole out of some copper left over from a bathroom remodel. Did not have any coax with the right connector so I disassemble an old CB radio antenna and connected it to the J pole. Much to my surprise when I fired it up and changing the antenna, I could receive transmissions from a repeater located about 40 miles away. I had setup the radio and antenna on our deck which turned out to be a bad idea. The temperature that afternoon around 95+ degree. Something must have fried. The Kenwood still had power but it no longer scanned and I could not manual change frequencies. I would get a repeating beep. I thought that if I disconnect everything and allow it to cool down it would reset itself. Unfortunately, it did not have any effect. I did a YouTube search that provide directions to disassemble the Kenwood and how to change the 3v battery. I have not put the Kenwood back together yet but I doubt that the battery could be the problem. I have been able to download the schematic. So, my question is if this is an overheating problem where would I begin to look. Using the schematic as a guide where should I begin my problem determination.
Aug 28th 2019, 09:15

W1VT

Super Moderator

Radios typically have a reset procedure if it locks up.

http://hammadeparts.jivetones.com/Amateur_Radio_Manuals_Schematics/KENWOOD/Kenwood%20Radio%20Reset.pdf
See #16.
Aug 28th 2019, 15:17

KN6CWJ

Another success story. Thank you W1VT for pointing me in the right direction.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn