ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Getting my 8 yr old and friends into ham radio during COVID

Jun 22nd 2020, 13:39

AA3RQ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello,
I am not sure whether to post this here or in the classrooms forum (no activity there since April 2019).
My 8 yr old and a couple of his friends are possibly interested in learning about radio (ham and otherwise). I have buy-in from the parents who are eager for STEM activity and an alternative to endless iPad games. :) I am curious if anyone here has gone through a similar process. The COVID situation means lots of in-person meetups and projects is probably not a good idea, so there will have to be a virtual component.
I am thinking maybe 2-3 times a week we get together (the kids and I and their parents if they like) for a Facetime meetup where we can do various things radio related. Spending the whole time preparing for the test will likely not be a winner. I am thinking to start everyone could get an SDRplay or similar inexpensive radio, and use that as a basis for activities- We can tune in different stations on different bands, compare signal strength, and so forth. Perhaps one or two kids can get a CB radio (about $60 with antenna it seems) to whet the appetite, or maybe even build a legal LOWfer or MEDfer transmitter+antenna (we are within a few miles of each other) to let the kids try communicating without needing a license. (I guarantee they will be Facetiming each other while trying to communicate- an option I did not have when I was their age!) All of these activities could be used as a springboard to discussion of the dry stuff (the theory and regulations) to get a license.
Does anyone have any thought or past experiences related to this?
Thanks in advance,
Geof (AA3RQ)
Jun 22nd 2020, 13:54

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Kids like to learn Morse code. You can't tell how old someone else from the way they are sending.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn