ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

How likely am I to cause RFI to Direct TV connected to Digital TV sets on 40 meters?

Jul 12th 2020, 20:55

WB6WUW

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Years ago I had an inverted V on my 38' foot tower for 40 meters. The tower is located15' from my property line and my neighbor's house is about 10' from his. When I first put up the inverted V in the 1980's, I put a high-pass filter on his NTSC's input and toroids on his cable and it solved the problem until he decided to add a second story to his house and run Direct TV cable through the wall for most of the cables length. He also removed the afore mention TVI devices at that time. From that point forward, I stopped using the 40-meter antenna to avoid conflict. That was in the late 90's. Since then he has switched to digital TVs. If I were to put up a new 40-meter inverted V, what is the likelihood that I would again have TVI problems?
Jul 14th 2020, 09:21

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have an inverted "L" antenna that I load up on 160 through 6 meters. Our ground system is the city water system; 1/2 mile by 1/4 mile grid of underground copper and iron piping. Works great to the northeast for European and Russian DX. The point is, the horizontal part of the L runs less than two feet away from our Direct TV antenna. Maximum power used at this QTH is 125 Watts carrier (AM), (500 W PEP) and NO RFI. You may get RFI in some speaker leads; there are toroids for than.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn