ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Unusual Antenna issue

Jul 28th 2020, 18:15

kc4rp

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Until recently my only antenna issues were XYL related since we had no HOA to deal with. I used a GAP challenger out behind the ham shack and it worked fine.
Then we moved.
My ham shack will be on the second floor of the barn that holds my wood shop on the ground floor. As far as the accommodations, go no issues at all. 60' x 90'. Commercial wood racks out back. The previous owners left a 70s vintage Craftsman table saw with built in indeed, outfield and side support tables for cabinet sheet goods. The problem is where to put the antenna. Looking to run 80 - 10 plus 6m and 2m. Out back of the barn is a holding pen for cattle for around 150 - 200 feet back. Behind that is one of the pastures - also a cow usage area. to one side is a county road and on the other two are areas with truck and tractor traffic. Kind of leaves a stealth antenna. Except the roof is all metal on top. The tin is OSB underneath supported with 2x6 joists and 2x4 rafters on 24" centers.

I'm not comfortable with mounting a GAP Challenger or Hustler to the roof with just tin and OSB to hold it. Am I stuck with a collection of ham sticks and recut CB verticals?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rick KC4RP

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn