ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Antenna launchers

Sep 8th 2020, 15:57

WB7AEA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I see ads for two types of antenna launchers: one using compressed air, the other a sling shot approach. Not sure if one type has a more accurate aim than the other and also wonder which seems easier to use. Any input? Thanks WB7AEA "Forrie"
Sep 10th 2020, 09:07

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

W1AW Station Manager, Joe Carcia, NJ1Q, uses a compressed air cannon that launches a tennis ball attached to fishing line. He always seems to get the line over the branch, or fitting he was aiming at. It seems to be the preferred method, but the sling-shot works, too. Some hams use drones for such things now. I once heard a story about a trained squirrel.....

Personally, I hire a tree climber. He installed a pulley on each tree intended to be used as an antenna support. It's a permanent solution, provided each halyard (rope) is maintained. Eye hooks are used to secure each pulley. Works great and no worries during wind.

Sep 11th 2020, 16:20

WB7AEA

Thanks WB1GCM, appreciate the input. Have considered the tree climber, too. Project down the road a ways, so will keep looking for input here and make decision on best way for my situation later. Take care.
Oct 8th 2020, 17:01

SteveFrench

For me the sling shot is easier, and with a cheap Zebco slinging a 1 oz. sinker, it can't get much easier.
Oct 14th 2020, 00:16

WB7AEA

Thanks KM4JZJ. Wonder how accurate the sling shot is? I hope to lob a line over limbs of several 50 foot tall fir trees but the area open between those limbs (at about 40 feet off the ground) is small, so gotta be able to hit with an accuracy of maybe plus or minus 3 feet. And how many feet of line you send out with a typical sling shot volley?

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn