ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Coax Length to Antenna

Sep 27th 2020, 18:39

AE0LC

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am new to HAM, and I need help with the length of Coax I have planned to my preferred antenna field. My preferred antenna field is 175 coax feet from my new radio shack. Will I be able to remote my planned vertical antenna that far away?
Sep 28th 2020, 11:22

W1VT

Super Moderator

200 feet of coax can be expensive. If cost is an issue you may want to consider using RG-6 cable TV coax. A 1000 ft roll can be typically had for under $100, including shipping charges. The best option may be surplus Heliax, but not everyone has that option. If you purchase it on ebay watch the shipping charges, as they can be quite high. Someone at a local club may know who has it or where to get it in your area.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Sep 28th 2020, 14:24

AE0LC

My intent is to operate 6-80 meters, potentially 160.  I am looking at a few verticals, since I am boxed in by trees and power lines.  I am still researching antennas, and I think I will go with the Yaesu FTDX 101D.  I am hoping to have enough $$ set aside by early spring to get started.

If I am forced to go closer, I may be forced into a vertical without ground radials, like at FlagPoleAntenna.com.
Sep 28th 2020, 18:42

W1VT

Super Moderator

There are antenna reviews on eham.net. They can be useful for alerting your of any issues.
If you have trees is is generally better to go with simple wire antennas as that is a very easy way to get a large antenna that will work reasonably on the low bands like 80 and 160. You should also consider more than one if you want to cover a lot of bands.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn