ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

National Calling Frequency

Nov 20th 2011, 22:47

W0BBZ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I've been all over the internet and the ARRL site and I can find out what the specific national calling frequencies are, but what I cannot find is the definition or what they're used for. If someone can give an explanation of it here, that'd be appreciated and if can get added to the ARRL FAQ, I'm sure other people new to ham would find it useful.

Thanks.
Nov 21st 2011, 18:22

W1VT

Super Moderator

The national calling frequencies are intended to make it easier for amateurs to hook up on the VHF/UHF bands, where amateurs often use high gain beam antennas. A beam substantially increases range, but only when the antenna is pointed in the right direction--having everyone on the same frequency can greatly simplify the challenge of making long distance DX contacts. The most popular calling frequency is 144.200MHz. Stations should move off the calling frequency if they wish to hold a long discussion, so other stations can use the frequency for its intended purpose. Most hams have no issues with stations in rare grid squares talking to many hams one after the other on the calling frequency. A good operator can talk to dozens of hams in just half an hour!

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Nov 25th 2011, 07:03

KM3F

I assume from your other posts you are on 2/440 FM.
The 2 meter FM calling frequency is 146.520 on 2 meters and 446 FM on 70 cm band.
On this site, find the 'Band Plan' tab for all the calling frequencies.
It will show the plan in two formats.
Good luck.
Dec 4th 2012, 00:34

0006020557H80

W0RMV Is there no one that can make a suggestion as to possible
"national calling" frequencies for the other V/UHF bands & modes [besides 2 m and 440 MHz].?
How about 6m AM. I am the only old ham that remembers any
thing of the great fun had on the East coast back in the 60s.? or
2 meter wide band FM in the Carolinas? Today is there no freq.
for gathering at the "water hole" on 10 m: either AM, FM or SSB?
I have not been one on the 10 meter band hardly at all. So I
have not idea where to listen except to scan the band on my FM
rig.
Dec 4th 2012, 13:22

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

50.4 MHz AM is alive and well in many parts of the country. You can still work E-Skip with it when the band is open. 50.4 is considered the AM calling frequency.

With my own operating experience, there are other, so called, "calling frequencies" where people might be listening. 29.0 is the 10 meter AM calling frequency. Many hams listen on 28.4000 MHz SSB. 2 Meter SSB is 144.2000MHz.. Let's not forget the 10 Meter FM calling frequency of 29.6 MHz.

BTW, 10 meters has been very good lately, wide open around the World at times.

The calling frequencies are there to call a friend on a schedule, or make a casual contact, calling CQ. When contact is established, both stations move to another frequency. However, in areas of light traffic, one may rag-chew with locals on 50.4 MHz and keep an ear out for any station who wish to make a call. Of course, there is no FCC rules about this; but doing so is just good, considerate operating practice.
Dec 4th 2012, 21:49

KB0HAE

Hi. These calling frequencies are there to give Hams a frequency to monitor, and to call CQ on as a place to start a contact. Once contact is established, the stations involved should move off to another frequency. These frequencies are not mandated by the FCC, but aggreed upon by Hams. On VHF, UHF, and above it is easier to make contacts if many Hams moniter and/or call on the calling frequency instead of scattered stations all over the band(s) calling CQ.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn