ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Mixed Mode AM/SSB QSOs?

Jan 31st 2022, 23:58

K0WUQ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
All right, this should get a chuckle out of some of you, but here goes.

I am working on modulating a self-designed homebuilt 30-watt amplifier (I work exclusively on the 40 meter band). When listening on the band, all the phone I ever hear is SSB. This is out in the hinterlands; central Iowa. I'm using a receiver that picks up CW, SSB and AM without mode switching. So, I usually CQ like this:

Seek you, seek you, seek you
This is K0WUQ K0WUQ Kilo Zero Whiskey Uniform Quebec
Listening AM and SSB, over.

Now, thinking about this usually leads me to believe that being willing to receive replies in SSB mode will probably never make a QSO happen, because almost everyone today has a transceiver which probably doesn't let them listen in AM mode if they're trying to work in SSB. Secondarily, I wonder if such a QSO, even if it could be established, might be in violation of a Rule, e.g. since the QSO would be extremely difficult to monitor.

Any advice or thoughts?
Feb 1st 2022, 08:03

W1VT

Super Moderator

The idea is to transmit in the most popular mode, SSB, and give someone the opportunity to answer in another mode, such as AM.

A SSB receiver will easily demodulate both AM and SSB signals simultaneously. A panadapter will allow you to see who is transmitting on AM and who is transmitting on SSB.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Feb 1st 2022, 17:19

K0WUQ

Thanks, Zak - that clarifies things immensely. So, it sounds like a better plan would be to try to answer a CQ from an SSB operator. I know nothing about the technicalities of SSB and had no idea an SSB set could just as easily receive AM. I thought I might be really blowing smoke here, with my first post ever!

Again, thanks for your very clear and thoughtful reply!

Larry K0WUQ

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn