ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

ARRL EFHW KIT

May 2nd 2022, 12:08

dkoczur

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I built the ARRL EFHW kit and intend to use in on 80-10 M Bands. I built the 110 microHenry choke. I will install it with the 49:1 transformer about 10 Ft off the ground and the other end about 40 ft in the air fastened to a tree. I intend on tuning the length of the 40-10 M section first and then adding the short 80M section with the choke and then tuning the length of that.I will have 25 FT of RG-8X putside and 25 FT inside. I have alightning arrestor to install at the enterance to the house and connected with a 8 Ft wire to the main panel ground connection. I have an ICOM 7300 and a Astron power supply. The dc of the power supply is not connected to the case. I have the following questions:
1. Since the lightning arrestor will ground the coax do I need a ground at the transformer?
2. Do I need an isolation arrestor?
3. Do I need a CMC?
4. When I bond the power supply and Transiever together, do I need to run a separate ground out to the same point as the lightning arrestor is grounded?

I just got my General Class and thgis is my first HF shack.

May 3rd 2022, 09:57

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://www.ecmweb.com/national-electrical-code/code-basics/article/20891084/article-810-radio-and-television-equipment
NEC says to ground the mast and feedline. They do not specify grouding a matching transformer.

In some cases a CMC may help but it is usually not necessary. There is no straightforward method of optimizing a CMC on an "all band" antenna.

No, NEC does not require that the power supply and transceiver bonding be run out to separate ground to the lightning arrestor ground.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
May 4th 2022, 13:00

dkoczur

Thanks.
The question I was asking concerning bonding the power supply and transiever was is groundind to the same point I have the lightbing arrestor grounded the best place to ensure a single point ground or is there a better place?
May 5th 2022, 08:29

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://www.w8ji.com/house_ground_layouts.htm
Tom realized that hams have to compromise, and offers his opinions on several popular choices.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn