ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

old timer in apartment, asking for comments.

Dec 16th 2011, 14:48

K9AXM

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I received my ham license in 1966. Started as novice, KN9AXM and upped to general.
I've not been very active lately. In the past year my HF station's been down as I moved into an apartment. with the usual restrictions.
I've come up with a way to put up a stealth antenna and might try to get back on in QRP CW only. I'm not interested in anything but rag chewing on cw, just as I did way back with my Heathkit DX transmitter.

I have a simpler Alinco DX77,a ladder line antenna, along with a Dentron Jr antenna tuner... Ham radio is just one of my interests for me and I just want to rag chew occasionally. I have been a member of the ARRL for awhile and try to keep up with things but I always get back to a simpler mode, cw, and a less regimented, no awards winning , operation.

Any comments would be appreciated. BTW, I'm 84 and have always liked CW as a satisfying means of communications.
Dec 16th 2011, 18:39

KD0JZI

I know the feeling of those restrictions. I live in a mobile home I rent, on the bright side my landlord is a little more relaxed, so let's me get by with a few things. (Still trying to talk him into that 200ft tower...hi hi)
A simple mag mount on top of the house, lets me get most of the local repeaters within 50 miles of me at a 47 rst (unless bad wether is hitting the area) In the pass at my old QTH, I could hit repeaters twice as far away.

Unfournately when you rent, sometimes you lose things like this..... but if you can compromise (such as a mag mount on the roof [like I did] or a stealth antenna hidden out a window, it's better then nothing in my opinion.

Plus I look at it this way.... we still find ways to get that qreat QSO, despite the restrictions placed on us as renters. We have to build our own "toys", come up with Plan B, C and D, and at times just exeriment, just to get it to work for us.
It's alot harder for us to comunicate at times then the guy with a 45 foot tower in his backyard, and thats what I believe makes us that rent "better" Hams in the long run.
Dec 23rd 2011, 06:40

WA7RBC

Wayne, my operating interest seems to about the same as yours. For 40 and 30M I have a simple antenna, run 50W, and can make pleny of contacts of the "ragchew" variety on CW. Most of the time I use a straight key.

I've heard some hams complain that there are fewer ops using CW (as compared to, say, 40 years ago), but I don't believe it. I would be interested in your opinion on this.

Recently I put up an antenna for 10M and have good luck there during daylight hours. Of course the antenna for 10 is small and even at rooftop level it's still over 1/2 wavelength in elevation.

Good luck, and if you like let's schedule a QSO on 40! 73, Ron.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn