ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Icom IC-9100 - "Unknown Device"

Dec 17th 2011, 15:52

la1xja

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Using a new Icom IC-9100, I’m getting "unknown device" when I connect the USB cable to my computer. I’m running 64 bit version of windows 7 ultimate.

Before I connected my radio to the computer, i installed the USB drivers downloaded from ICOM, and rebooted, then connected IC-9100 using the USB cable and turned the IC-9100 on.

I have even tried updated driver from http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

I’m still getting Unknown Device in windows device manager. I tried to reboot and reconnect, but nothing works.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?
Dec 18th 2011, 20:14

aa6e

Are you referring to version 1.10 USB driver software? The Driver Installation Guide section 2 "precautions" warns you "NEVER connect the USB cable ... until AFTER the USB driver has been installed." I suspect this may be the problem.

This is an unpleasant feature of Windows. If you do the natural thing and try plugging in the new peripheral before installing the driver software, Windows tries to identify the device somehow, and failing to do so, it seems to install a generic driver that will not allow you to install the software correctly afterwards. (Or something like that!)

Basically, you need to go into the Device Manager and locate the device in question and remove the driver that Windows has helpfully (incorrectly) provided you with. Then you load your software and start over again.

(This is from memory when I had a similar problem. Maybe there are better Windows experts who can chime in.)

73 Martin AA6E
ARRL Technical Advisor
Dec 19th 2011, 14:40

la1xja

This is the problem, yes. Have tried to remove, uninstall, deleted the drivers, but nothing helps. There must be a way to fix this, but so far I have failed to do so.
Dec 19th 2011, 22:11

aa6e

Then this is a Windows problem, not a ham radio problem. You'll find better help on Windows software help sites.

Martin
Dec 27th 2011, 10:55

la1xja

I'm happy to say, I solved my problem with the unknown device.
May 30th 2016, 06:16

KE8BSM

Quote by la1xja
I'm happy to say, I solved my problem with the unknown device.

What did you do to solve your problem? I have the same issue. Did you use a different USB cable?
May 30th 2016, 19:55

KE8BSM

Nevermind - found the problem. One of the USB ports on my computer isn't powered & I don't think the radio appreciated that. I plugged the radio into a powered USB hub & the radio connected immediately.

So if you're having this problem, try plugging the radio into a powered USB hub, after you install the drivers of course.

73s!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn