ARRL

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Mic issue on Kenwood TS-430s

Dec 22nd 2011, 00:43

KF7SXD

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I just acquired a used TS-430s, got it setup and connected to the power supply, and then discovered a problem. I verified that the setup matches the owner's manual, but being a new operator I realize I may have missed something that would be obvious to an experienced operator.
When I key the hand microphone, nothing happens (no PTT reaction, no transmit indicator). If I press the Down button on the microphone, the transmit indicator lights up momentarily and I see the meter respond as if it is transmitting. I could really use some guidance here on where to start troubleshooting. Is it plausible that the connector might have been disassembled and then reassembled in the wrong orientation?

Thanks for any help.
KF7SXD
Dec 22nd 2011, 16:03

W1VT

It is quite likely that the microphone you are using has been rewired for another radio--this is common because the manufacturers do not agree on any sort of microphone standard. Nor is there any standard color code for the wires, so it is often necessary to open up the microphone to figure out how to properly wire the microphone.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

Dec 23rd 2011, 01:58

KF7SXD

Thanks for the response, that will give me a good place to start.
Dec 23rd 2011, 12:05

W1VT

If you are lucky enough to know what rig the microphone works with, you can look up how it was originally wired. Folks who sell interfaces for connecting computers to radios often have such info on their web site.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jan 29th 2012, 21:17

KF7SXD

I actually replaced the mic with an inexpensive option from MFJ, everything seems to work fine now. Sometime down the road when I have more time I will investigate rewiring the original.