ARRL

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

wanna get a beam antenna for hf work

Dec 24th 2011, 17:30

k7gav

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
hi guy's i need some shopping advice for a 3 element beam antenna
i have a kenwood ts2000 would like to purchase a beam antenna system for hf work on 10 meters replacing my r8 hf cushcraft vertical to get out farther then the us state oh i can get out but would love contacting other countrys on 10 i live next door to Swedish hospital do you think they would mind me replacing my r8 with a low power beam only using 100 watts to transmit now will that be okay to use with a beam antenna system 73 Greg
Dec 25th 2011, 15:24

k7gav

update message

I decided to purchase a Yagi 4 element beam antenna that will cover 20,17,15,10 meters i mainly use 10 right now i wanna get out farther i do not use those other hf bands cuz i'm still a tech class all i'm doing is swapping out my r8 hf vertical and put a Yagi beam antenna in its place Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all 73 Greg
Jan 3rd 2012, 18:08

gw0nvn

Hi Greg,

As you are discovering there's many aspects to amateur radio. How to comunicate to various countries takes a bit of research, planning, engineering, operating and luck.

With the internet and especially the ARRL website there is much information to help you achieve your goals. The rest is from the good radio books magazines and local hams. You will need to learn about rf propagation. So to chose the best band to use. How your antenna works. Is it the correct one for the job? Am I located in the best place to work that Country? How much power do I really need? Most of this is explained in the ham radio training books. Have a listen on the hf bands especially during a contest. You will hear how the propagation changes throughout the period.

All the best

Simon GW0NVN N1XIH