ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Xcvr Repairs?

Jan 1st 2012, 05:05

AC0XU

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have been looking for a shot to repair Kenwood equipment that is too old for the factory. I have been alarmed to see that (apparently) all the hams and business that have been posted to eham and other sites appear to have stopped servicing amateur equipment within the past few years. What is going on???

Recommendations??
Jan 1st 2012, 17:19

KB0HAE

Hi. Part of the problem is that that many parts are not available. Even parts used in some tranceivers (all brands) less than 5 years old are discontinued.
Jan 2nd 2012, 04:36

aa6e

Parts availability is especially troublesome for gear that uses custom integrated circuits (like microprocessors). But older rigs, like my TS-520S, have no ICs (or almost none) and are much easier to repair if something blows. I guess there's a moral there somewhere...

73 Martin AA6E
Feb 6th 2012, 17:48

WD0GOF

Vintage or "boat anchor" rig popularity has exploded over the last 10 years. User groups abound for just about any radio you come across. Yahoo user groups for Kenwood number in excess of 100. Go to Yahoo user groups and search for your rig. Join the group, introduce yourself and explain your difficulty. Or just Bing or Google your rig you will be supprised at what you find.

73, WD0GOF

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn