ARRL

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Tempo One Hum

Jan 14th 2012, 18:29

W8LA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm newly returned to amateur radio. I have my Tempo One transceiver set up after being in the carton for about 12 years. It apears to work well, but has more hum than I would like. Is this likely a case of old capacitors needing replacement? Any tips for an old ham trying to get back in the game?
Jan 16th 2012, 07:57

KB0HAE

Hi. It is quite possible that you need to replace some capacirors. Elecrrolytics are the prime suspects, although all components can change value or fail with age.

Personally, I would go with a solid state radio such as a Kenwood TS-130S, or TS-430S. If you must have a radio with a few tubes, try a Kenwood TS-520S, or TS-530S.

Can you rell that I am A Kenwood fan?
Jan 17th 2012, 16:00

AA6E

@KB0HAE - If I had a Tempo One in the box, I'd certainly want to get it working! It's always good to have a non-digital, non-IC rig on hand in case the balloon goes up some day. (Or just for fun!)

@WD8NRJ - Power supply electrolytics are the first candidates for replacement to deal with hum, but there are probably other electrolytics that will be sub-par -- changing audio response among other things. You can check whether a replacement is needed fairly simply. Just temporarily attach a good new cap in parallel with the suspected component. (It's lethal HV: take safety precautions!) If you hear any difference, you probably want to make a permanent swap.

73 Martin AA6E
ARRL Technical Advisor
Mar 26th 2013, 23:30

WB5EMX

Martin's advice is good, especially the precautionary about the high voltage. I will suggest that you take a cap and attach alligator leads to it and clip it in place rather than sticking your hand in, unless you really know what you are doing. Yes, I learned the hard way. Also, make sure that the cap you are putting in is rated high enough voltage. Electrolytics can go bang which is unnerving if you are not expecting it.