ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Tempo One Hum

Jan 14th 2012, 18:29

W8LA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm newly returned to amateur radio. I have my Tempo One transceiver set up after being in the carton for about 12 years. It apears to work well, but has more hum than I would like. Is this likely a case of old capacitors needing replacement? Any tips for an old ham trying to get back in the game?
Jan 16th 2012, 07:57

KB0HAE

Hi. It is quite possible that you need to replace some capacirors. Elecrrolytics are the prime suspects, although all components can change value or fail with age.

Personally, I would go with a solid state radio such as a Kenwood TS-130S, or TS-430S. If you must have a radio with a few tubes, try a Kenwood TS-520S, or TS-530S.

Can you rell that I am A Kenwood fan?
Jan 17th 2012, 16:00

aa6e

@KB0HAE - If I had a Tempo One in the box, I'd certainly want to get it working! It's always good to have a non-digital, non-IC rig on hand in case the balloon goes up some day. (Or just for fun!)

@WD8NRJ - Power supply electrolytics are the first candidates for replacement to deal with hum, but there are probably other electrolytics that will be sub-par -- changing audio response among other things. You can check whether a replacement is needed fairly simply. Just temporarily attach a good new cap in parallel with the suspected component. (It's lethal HV: take safety precautions!) If you hear any difference, you probably want to make a permanent swap.

73 Martin AA6E
ARRL Technical Advisor

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn