ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Mic Gain Adjustment

Jan 26th 2012, 00:58

lboulis

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
New ham looking at hf rigs and have found that some you need to remove the main cover to adjust the mic gain.With only local 2m experience with a ht I did not know if this would be a problem.Is mic gain something you adjust often or seldom with normal use?

Thanks
Lee KD8QYM
Jan 26th 2012, 03:53

WA0CBW

Lee,

I'm not aware of any HF radios that you need to remove the main cover to adjust the mic gain. Most have a separate control on the front panel or a selection from a menu. What radio are you referring to that requires you to remove the cover to adjust the mic gain?

And yes you need to adjust the mic gain occasionally.

Bill - WA0CBW
ARRL Technical Coordinator - Kansas Section
Jan 26th 2012, 09:54

lboulis

Bill

The Alinco DX-SR8T all Mode transceiver.

Thanks
Lee KD8QYM
Jan 26th 2012, 19:13

WA0CBW

Lee,

I have seen the Alinco but I had not read through the manual. I think having to remove the cover to adjust the mic gain might be a feature I wouldn't like. For the price however, it appears to be a good buy. This looks like a pretty good radio for a beginner. Not too complicated for your first HF experience. Having a remote head would be good if you are thinking about using it in a mobile.

I would suggest you look at some of the reviews for this radio to see if there is anything else you might not like. I believe the "T" is an upgrade of the original model that was first released. So maybe any bugs in the original model have been taken care of.

Good Luck on your first radio!

Bill - WA0CBW
ARRL Technical Coordinator - Kansas Section
Jan 28th 2012, 17:45

KB0HAE

Looking at the manual, the mic gain adjustment is indeed internal, requiring that the cover be removed. This would make me look elsewhere for an HF radio. Not all microphones are created equal, and not all voices are the same. While after initial adjustment you may seldome want to adjust mic gain, I believe that mic gain adjustment needs to be accessable without removing the case. Most HF radios will have a mic gain knob, or allow the mic gain to be adjusted via a menu. I believe that this is a poor design choice by Alinco.

A few hints here on choosing a radio. Get all the information that you can on the radios that you are interested in. Read reviews, download and read manuals, search on the internet for problems and solutions. I would try to join a local club and talk to other Hams. And feel free to ask questions here!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn