ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

QST View - AView For Windows 7

Jan 30th 2012, 04:00

K3SK

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Apparently QST View and Aview do not work with Windows 7. Is there a replacement or have a just flushed hundreds of dollars worth of QST CD Roms down the toilet buy keeping my computer current?

I tried to search this site (arrl.org) without success in finding anything about either program and have had little success on the web other than others trying to off-load their "useless" collections on ebay.

Any help besides keeping an outdated computer that takes up as much space as the back issues did?
Jan 30th 2012, 14:31

W1VT

Super Moderator

Microsoft suggest running Virtual PC and XP to allow compatibility with older 16 bit software, such as the AVIEW program used to view the TIFF files on the CD collections.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

All 64 bit OS have this issue--the 32 bit versions of Vista and Win 7 will still run 16 bit software.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Feb 1st 2012, 20:44

aa6e

It is a problem that the QSTView CDROMs won't run under a modern WIndows OS (or Macintosh or Linux!). The scans used on those CDs weren't very good by modern standards either. The periodicals CDs published since 1999 are much more satisfactory - providing good PDF versions of the journals.

The early QSTs (and other ARRL publications) are historically important, and I would hope the League will eventually digitize them all properly in an open format. Write your Director if you also care!

Meanwhile, have you tried the ARRL web archives? http://www.arrl.org/arrl-periodicals-archive-search? They are not so easy to browse, and the search function is a little iffy. Still, they are accessible to any member.

73 Martin AA6E
ARRL Technical Advisor
Feb 2nd 2012, 03:31

KL0S

Actually there is a freeware Mac utility that will display the QSTView CDROMs (as well as Ham Radio, QEX and Communications Quarterly files). Chen W7AY is the author....see:

http://www.w7ay.net/site/Applications/QST%20Browser/index.html

73 - Dino KL0S
Feb 2nd 2012, 18:25

N0NB

I tackled this problem by writing a simple script to convert the TIFF files to an EPS file and then concatenating the files into a single PDF for each issue. More details can be found at:

http://www.n0nb.us/blog/2011/01/qst2pdf-a-program-to-convert-qst-view-images-to-a-single-pdf-per-issue/

I have run this script on my Linux boxes and archived the PDFs on a large partition. What I did not do was parse the text database CSV file on each lead CDROM and build a database for searching. As that can be done here on the Web site, that is moot. What I get is being able to look at each issue in a PDF reader of choice.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us
Feb 11th 2012, 04:57

0006057298H80

I just need the original version of A-View for use with my WinXP computer. I had a cra$h of the hard drive and lost the copy I've had on it since 2005. I can't find the original version on any of the CD's i've found, and I want to take a peek at the 1940-49 CD which I've recently purchased from another ham.
Jul 12th 2012, 04:55

KC7CJ

I've had some success using Nitro PDF Professional to combine the files that are used to store monthly issues of Ham Radio magazine on the HR CD ROM collection. Each month's issue is stored there under a folder as a collection of jpeg and tif files, one per magazine page. PDF Pro has a "Combine Files" feature under its "Create and Convert" tab that will enter and combine all files selected into a single, very readable pdf. Details are in the online user guide under the title "Combining files to PDF."

Scott R., KC7CJ@arrl.net
Mar 9th 2013, 19:12

K3DX

From Microsoft's support site for virtual-PC:
"Windows XP Mode will not be supported on Windows 8. Windows XP Mode is a Windows 7 Professional feature designed to support Windows XP application compatibility. "

Cheer up, those of you (us) who spent $400 for the CD collection - those shiny disks will make a splendid mobile.

73, Dave - K3DX
Dec 8th 2015, 16:15

KV1W

So, why doesn't ARRL provide a product for those of us that own the complete set from 1915 to 1999 can continue to view them ? Seems only reasonable to me.
Ric KV1W
Aug 26th 2018, 13:56

RonMcCVe3lvv

You can still view the contents of the CD open the Year folder and and Month folder and you will find that all the files are either JPG or TIF image files and can be viewed by most image viewers, I use google Picasa as the viewer and can them step from page to page very easily in viewer mode! de Ve3lvv Ron
Dec 7th 2019, 18:09

W6LAR

Since I run Win 7 and plan to keep it I loaded Virtual PC and then Windows XP Mode. So now I can run the ARRL View.
Jan 12th 2022, 14:07

NX7U

Here's something that might help:
QST collections prior to the 1995-1999 set use QSTView, which will not run on W10 (I have W10 Pro x64).
The QST collections 1995-1999 and 2000-2004 transitioned to AView, which WILL run on W10.
What I did was: (1) install AView from one of the two aforementioned collections; (2) re-install Aview. You'll get a message "it's already installed, do you want to add QST collections to the index?" (3) Answer yes and you can check-box what you have, all the way back to the beginning of time.
Supposedly AView will accomplish steps (2) and (3) on its own, but that didn't work for me. What I outlined did work.
The key is to have one of those two collections--the AView included in QEX, Ham Radio Magazine and Communications Quarterly don't know about QST so you can't build the index directly (or at least I couldn't).

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn