ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Ground Aluminum Window Frames?

Feb 9th 2012, 21:17

K4XBC

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I've made a coax bulkhead for the bottom of my aluminum double hung window. There is stainless steel on both sides of the bulkhead and grounded to the earth immediately below it, as well as a home run to the electrical service.
A question I've never seen asked is whether the window frame should be grounded also or be allowed to 'float'.

Is this uncharted territory?

Hugh
K4XBC

Dec 27th 2013, 00:13

mrstokes

Hugh - Did you find an answer to this question? I'm curious if our HAM equipment can be grounded to the window sill.
Dec 29th 2013, 20:57

aa6e

If you're in a normal wood frame house, I doubt that the window frames are electrically connected to anything. (Maybe they would be in a high-rise building.) In any case, I would not rely on window frames for any kind of ground. It probably doesn't matter as far as RF is concerned. You might worry about lightning safety. A big surge could jump from your antenna wires to the frame and set the house on fire -- you might imagine. But if you've got such a big lightning hit, there's a good chance of major damage whether or not you have the window grounded. So I suppose I wouldn't worry. (On the other hand, a ground connection probably wouldn't hurt anything.)

73 Martin AA6E
Dec 31st 2013, 17:21

K1DCR

Do you really want to have the bulkhead grounded at two different points? Will this cause a difference in potential making a ground loop? I would think that a single ground, “grounded to the earth immediately below it,” would be better.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn