ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Why does this happen?

Feb 20th 2012, 19:02

0001582470H80

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
During contest, I hear many stations "move in" and transmit during and over QSO's in progress. I, also hear alot of stations on the designated calling frequencies constantly working DX and not QSYing to another frequency.It happens in the digital modes, also.I feel the "Contesters" feel they have these rights just because of a ARRL announced contest is in progress. So, why does this happen?
Feb 21st 2012, 18:51

WA7RBC

Most folks today are just so busy with their own affairs that they forget the consideration of others.

That's why I think the Amateur's Code of Conduct is important to promote! 73, Ron.
Mar 29th 2012, 22:41

W1RFIAdmin

So on July 4th, a fellow drove to his local town park to take his usual evening stroll. He was dismayed that the parking lot was full and he couldn't find a place to park his car. He finally found a spot on a side street and walked to his favorite part of the park.

He was dismayed again to find a lot of other people there. Everywhere he tried to walk, there were people walking in front of him and sitting down in the places he usually wanted to stroll. Once in a while, one of the people actually jostled hm a bit as they tried to walk around him. After a bit, one of the people told him that everyone was there to see the fireworks.

He hadn't come to the park to see the fireworks, and he just wanted to walk in the places that he usually walked.

That day, it didn't work out very well and he walked off to a part of the park that was just as pleasant, but that seemed to have a lot fewer people.

None of this justifies the "take over any frequency" approach that some in contesting use, but it also drives home a point that in a common resource, there will be times when a lot of people want to use the resource at once to do something different from what we may want to do.

I look at contests the same way that I see the 4th of July fireworks. If I don't want to watch the fireworks, I stay home and clean my shack.

Ed, W1RFI
Apr 5th 2012, 22:01

WL7BDO

Their can be some other explanations for this. And I have heard it a number of times. I may hear two or three west coast stations all on the same frequency. You need to go and look up their location on QRZ and then sometimes you can assume they are in each others skip zone. So they listen. Hear a clear frequency. Ask maybe "Is this frequency in use?" Nothing. So begin to call CQ. the 2nd station can't hear the other station and so it goes. I even gave a report once and received a report from two stations at the same time. 1 push of the mic and two QSO's - it can happen. The other which happens to me is the bands shift and all at once I begin to hear the other stations running with a CQ. For a while be both lived in our own region then the bands open up and QRM results. Most of the time we need to give each other the benefit of the doubt.
Apr 12th 2012, 15:54

W1OBJ

Quote by W1RFIAdmin
So on July 4th, a fellow drove to his local town park to take his usual evening stroll. He was dismayed that the parking lot was full and he couldn't find a place to park his car. He finally found a spot on a side street and walked to his favorite part of the park.

He was dismayed again to find a lot of other people there. Everywhere he tried to walk, there were people walking in front of him and sitting down in the places he usually wanted to stroll. Once in a while, one of the people actually jostled hm a bit as they tried to walk around him. After a bit, one of the people told him that everyone was there to see the fireworks.

He hadn't come to the park to see the fireworks, and he just wanted to walk in the places that he usually walked.

That day, it didn't work out very well and he walked off to a part of the park that was just as pleasant, but that seemed to have a lot fewer people.

None of this justifies the "take over any frequency" approach that some in contesting use, but it also drives home a point that in a common resource, there will be times when a lot of people want to use the resource at once to do something different from what we may want to do.

I look at contests the same way that I see the 4th of July fireworks. If I don't want to watch the fireworks, I stay home and clean my shack.
Ed, W1RFI

Ed, they don't have fireworks every week end either.. W1OBJ Jim
Apr 12th 2012, 15:59

W1OBJ

There are many CW operators that just don't do contests and are not able to get on the radio unless they either use a WARC band or try to squeeze inbetween the QRM.....Perhaps 10 Khz on each band should be left clear for those who simply enjoy rag chewing with thier friends.....lets face it......contesting has almost a week end activity because of the countless contests that are being held.
Contesting has become a mania.
Jan 7th 2013, 20:15

KB3LIX

Quote by W1OBJ
Quote by W1RFIAdmin

Ed, W1RFI

Ed, they don't have fireworks every week end either.. W1OBJ Jim

There are NOT major contests every weekend either.

ED (W1RFI), very good analogy !
Jan 7th 2013, 20:18

KB3LIX

Quote by W1OBJ
There are many CW operators that just don't do contests and are not able to get on the radio unless they either use a WARC band or try to squeeze inbetween the QRM.....Perhaps 10 Khz on each band should be left clear for those who simply enjoy rag chewing with thier friends.....lets face it......contesting has almost a week end activity because of the countless contests that are being held.
Contesting has become a mania.

WAH...WAH...WAH...want a towel ?
Don't like contests, go wash the car, mow the grass, take the wife or dog for a walk.
Get on the radio at some other time when there are no contests.

And as I said above, major contests do NOT HAPPEN every weekend.
Learn the contest schedule and scheduile YOUR activities accodingly.
Sep 29th 2013, 08:47

AH6OY

Quote by N0MZR
During contest, I hear many stations "move in" and transmit during and over QSO's in progress. I, also hear alot of stations on the designated calling frequencies constantly working DX and not QSYing to another frequency.It happens in the digital modes, also.I feel the "Contesters" feel they have these rights just because of a ARRL announced contest is in progress. So, why does this happen?

Why do some people get on the air when they have an S meter reading higher than many other calls on the air. Why do some people point their beams at an area with a constant drone of strong signals when others to the side an back aren't heard but can hear the beam loud and clear.

It's probably best to run an amp if a contest is going on. Then start tuning filters to get rid of the qrm and hope they aren't using better filters to skirt in right beside you and not hear you while your radio hears them.

Of course there's even worse where it's intentional no regard or purposely trying to drive you off the freq.

Contesting times are the best time to have 12, 17 and 30 meters antennas. Wouldn't hurt to plan those freqs for scheds when you know a contest is coming up. Been there, done that.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn