ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

IC7000 Transmit problems

May 17th 2012, 21:01

KW4Z

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I've searched the internet over and over to see if someone was experiencing a power problem in their Icom IC7000. I was seeing 60watts out of a 100 watt radio and no apparent reason for the problem. I was about ready to pack up my IC7000 and send it in for repair. Thankfully another ham operator had heard about the problem and informed me to try something before I too more drastic measures.

His recommendation? There are two fuse holders in the the DC Cable for the IC-7000. The suggestion was to cut these fuses/fuse holders out of the cable and hook it direct to the radio from the power supply. Once I did this and hooked it up to my power supply, a dummy load and keyed the radio up there it was the 100 watts that used to be there. So if you are having power problems you might want to do the same and see fi that helps out.
May 23rd 2012, 17:46

WA0CBW

Ummmm.... I hope you still have fused the radio at least at the battery. The problem you described could be caused because of poor connections in the fuse holder or because there were two fuses in series (i.e. one at the battery and one at the radio). By their very nature fuses have a voltage drop. Depending on the length of the wire to the battery you may need to increase the size of the wire. For a 100 watt radio I wouldn't use anything smaller than #10. Check your voltage drop from the battery to the radio.

Bill
May 25th 2012, 12:53

K0BG

The advice given was ill-conceived to say the least!

Unless you measured the voltage at the back of the radio while transmitting, you can't be sure the cable connections were the problem. The easiest way to do this is use pin 4 (Gnd), and pin 3 (supply) of the Tuner port.

The fuses in the power cable are there to protect the wiring in case of a short. To a lessor degree, they protect the "innards". For example, if one of the finals fail. Operating without the fuses is a fire waiting to happen!

The cable uses ATO fuses which have very robust connections, and I'm of the opinion they weren't the problem.
Apr 20th 2015, 11:17

K1TLV

Only yesterday am... No power out on HF. VHF (2-M) & UHF (70cm) OK.
W/o pulling radio...any thoughts?
Guess it's time to get a service manual....

73s

jd, K1TLV

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn