ARRL

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

2 Meter Inverted V Antennas

May 27th 2012, 16:37

dksac2

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I don't see much written about using Inverted V antennas on the 2 meter band.

I would like to build one with a fiberglass pole approx 30' at the top and two arms, one to either side of the pole for the 2 wires that form the V.

Is this a good antenna for 2 Meter of better suited to HF use.

I plan on a Vertical also as high as I can get it. I live in a valley sourounded by mountains on 3 sides. I'd like the "V" to have it's major part of the signal pointed at the open end of the valley. I don't believe I'm going to get out of the valley much except for one repeater on one of the mountains, but it is below a good portion of the mountain tops that souround most of the valley. It has very little traffic, we are in a rural area. The repeater should put signal out of the open end of the valley.
The vertical should cover most of the valley floor, I would like the Inverted "V" to get some simplex signal past the opening to the mountains. A 3 element beam might be better, but I don't know if the pattern would be wide enough. I'm approx 12 miles from the opening to the valley.
I'm also new, running a 5 watt handheld. I plan on a smaller amplifier soon to bost the signal strength, about 45 watts.

Thank You, John KF7VXA
May 27th 2012, 18:52

W0BTU

It's certainly possible to make an inverted-V for two meters. But I think there are better choices.

Is your inverted-v intended for long-haul tropo work, or just close-in communications? I tried a rotatable dipole for SSB and CW on 144.2 MHz, and was disappointed. A simple, small three-element beam ran circles around it.

Sounds like your purpose is solely FM. It's so easy to make an end-mounted vertical Yagi on 2. I would forget about the inverted-vee and just make a beam.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com
May 28th 2012, 01:25

dksac2

Might be a good idea Mike, I want to get my signal out of the end of the valley which is in a "U" shape, so the beam might just be my best choice.

The vertical (a homemade 5/4 wave) will do great in the valley along with the repeater.
It's possible I could hit another repeater with a beam and an amp, which is what I'd like to do if possible. The repeater in the valley is pretty dead. Not much simplex here either. Getting to another repeater out of the valley would get more traffic. There are a bunch on GMRS here, but that's not my interest.

My Best, John
May 28th 2012, 13:17

W0BTU

You might even want to consider stacking a couple of beams vertically. As is explained at http://www.w0btu.com/VHF-UHF_vertical_antenna_stacking.html, the apparent gain from vertical stacking at VHF and UHF can be much more than expected.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com
Jun 3rd 2012, 15:17

N0MZR

I would build a 2m "Slingshot" antenna. Vertical polarization. Look it up on Google and find your construction needs. 73
Jul 24th 2012, 21:26

dksac2

Thanks for the answers, I think I'm just going to give a 10 element beam a try, vert polerized of course for regular FM. The idea of the inverted "V" was just more to see if something very cheap might work.

I'm a retired Gunsmith and if you know Gunsmiths, we are cheap, even if we have the $$$.

73's, John
Nov 20th 2012, 19:22

KF6NFW

I know this post is old and probably wont even be viewd again, however, a 2 meter inverted Vee, is a great antenna for LOCAL FM and SSB..

I have built a couple and found that while I get the expected attenuation on FM it still works just fine for local repeater work, and some simplex operations. Because of the difference in polarity a perso should not expect great results from this antenna for everyday use on FM, unless the others that you talk to are also using same polarity. Noise can be cut down on, and a little extra miles added. I gained about 6 miles when in horizontal versus vertical, over average ground. 25 feet up on a mast in the Great Plains of South Dakota.

I recently came back to the inverted Vee out of boredom. I have very little VHF or UHF activity around this part of Oregon because of the cascades and other mountain ranges we live in. a repeater is pretty much an essential item around here, unless you live well above the city. we rarely are able to cover 30 miles on simplex, and this is typically done by the bigger guns of VHF.

SSB operation on it is great though. I have worked several satellites FM as well. still not able to get into Medford 30 miles away on SSB normaly, but I have landed a couple. Otherwise everything stays pretty much in our bowl. Out on the plains though ssb on the inverted Vee was excellent, could have only been made better by making a true flat top dipole out of it. because of its relative small size, I had a hard time tweaking the antenna to do much else, there isnt a lot of length to try and play with to get directional results out of it by bringing both legs closer in front versus off to the side.

seeing this post makes me want to build another one and see what I can do with a couple wavelengths as inverted Vee.

73 all