ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Lightning Arrestors

Jun 2nd 2012, 13:48

KapAceHigh

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
When I was WB2MHI from 1963 to 1968, the only type of coax lightning arrestor was the gap type, which I installed on my coax transmission line right ouside the entrance to the shack.

after about 42 years, I'm again a licensed ham,KC2ZDT, but still have vintage vacuum tube gear. My question is this: is a gas discharge tube type arrestor necessary with vintage tube equipment.
Thanks,
Bob K
KC2ZDT
Jun 5th 2012, 18:55

WA0CBW

Bob,
Tube type equipment may offer a little more protection against lightning damage through the antenna than today's solid state equipment. The purpose of the coax cable lightning arrestor is to attenuate the surge voltage that comes down the coax because of a nearby lightning strike. Most lightning damage is usually caused by flash over between things that are at different ground potentials. It is probably more important to connect all of your equipment to a single point ground. Along with the phone, internet, cable tv and any other wires that come in or out of your house.

Bill
ARRL Technical Coordinator - Kansas Section
Jun 6th 2012, 22:28

KapAceHigh

Bill,
Thanks for the information and the importance of grounding everything.
Guess the best precaution is to disconnect the antenna and power from all the equipment ahead any approaching thunderstorm.

Bob
KC2ZDT
Jun 7th 2012, 15:39

WA0CBW

Bob,

Yes, grounding is your friend. But don't be be fooled by thinking that that after lightning has traveled several miles through the atmosphere that it will be stopped by the two feet of distance between the coax connector and something in your shack that is at ground potential.

Bill
Jul 25th 2012, 15:27

WA0CBW

John,

Good lightning protection begins with the principle of "single point" grounding. That is all grounds go to a single copper bus located near the entrance of all coax cables. The buss should be at least 1/4 inch thick and sized length/width to accommodate all the ground wires. This bus should connect to your outside ground and the electrical panel ground. Connected to this bus would be all your equipment and all your surge protectors. Each device should be a "home run" from the device to the ground bus. In addition it would be a good idea to connect the cold water pipe to this same bus along with any telephone, cable vision, or satellite cable ground.

The idea is during a voltage surge you want EVERY piece of equipment to rise with the voltage. If one piece of equipment is at a different potential then the chance of an arc-over can occur. Most lightning damage occurs because of arcing between pieces of equipment or wiring or piping.

Bill
Sep 26th 2012, 02:44

JMWinPR

I would recommend PolyPhasers on the coax, and use coax grounding straps at each right angle bend, and at the entrance to the shack. I would also disconnect everything when storms approach and connect the antenna feeds to a "cantenna" or equivalent. This will help to keep it from bouncing around the shack. Don't count on objects 150 yds away to take the hit. After you've been hit a couple of times, it sort of comes natural.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn