ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

considering this equipment

Jun 3rd 2012, 11:52

parity

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I passed my General Exam yesterday and am looking to buy some good equipment. Due to very strict home-owners regulations, I would like to purchase equipment that I can use both in a (somewhat) mobile and ‘stealth’ fashion. I prefer an all-band radio that can handle HF, VHF and UHF. With my very limited experience, I figured I throw what I am considering out here and see if am on the right track…

• YAESU FT-897D
• Comet-NCG GP-6 - 2M/440 BASE ANT. 6.5/9 DB
• Comet CHV-5X - CHV-5X 40/20/15/10/6M
• Power Supply: Astron RS-35M
• MICRO-A MA-HRO-213-50P 50 FT RG-213/U CABLE W PL259ST CONNECTORS
• MICRO-A MA-TMS-400-50P 50 FT TIMES LMR400 WITH PL-259ST CONNECTORS

Any suggestions and feedback on this setup would be appreciated. For example, I am not quite sure about the HF antenna. Will this even work if install it up in an attic? I like the multiband aspect and the 20 meter band in particular sounds very interesting.
Jun 4th 2012, 18:09

K0BG

A couple of comments.

One thing you don't want to play is the Gain Game. The Comet you refer to has 6.5/9 dB of gain, but compared to what? There is no i or d after the dB rating.

The CHV-5X is a very minimal antenna. You'd certainly would be better off with a stealth wire antenna. Consider buying this ARRL publication: http://www.arrl.org/shop/Stealth-Antennas/

If you're plan is to run mobile, here is the place to start: http://www.k0bg.com
Jun 4th 2012, 23:39

parity

Quote by K0BG
A couple of comments.

One thing you don't want to play is the Gain Game. The Comet you refer to has 6.5/9 dB of gain, but compared to what? There is no i or d after the dB rating.

The CHV-5X is a very minimal antenna. You'd certainly would be better off with a stealth wire antenna. Consider buying this ARRL publication: http://www.arrl.org/shop/Stealth-Antennas/

If you're plan is to run mobile, here is the place to start: http://www.k0bg.com

Thanks for your reply. For as far as the GP-6, would you suggest an alternative that would work in an attic and not exceed 11 feet?

I'll bought the ARRL Antenna book (latest edition) and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll check out that Stealth book... The site you provided seems to have tons of information as well... so I'll be spending time reading up there for mobile solutions.
Jun 23rd 2012, 00:32

gw0nvn

A little extra..

As you have found out, there is much information on antennas. As has been mentioned, don't play the gain game. If possible get the antennas outside. The ARRL website should have the QST article describing the gaining of permission and instalation of a 6m/2m/70cm colinear and an HF mobile screwdriver vertical antenna on the roof of a condominium with resident restrictions. This would be a good compromise.

If you have to have your antennas in the roof space, I would suggest a wire loop antenna. This is described in the Stealth book and one of the Antenna Compendiums. Also on the ARRL web site. I use one in my apartment. In my case the loop is 15m of thick multicore cable. Suspended 0.5m from the walls and 0.1m from the wooden ceiling. It is connected directly to an Auto ATU. The 50 ohm coax is connected to this via a ferite Isolator to minimise any rf currents on the outer of the coax in the apartment. I tend only to use 10W rf and am happy with the results.

For vhf/uhf I use a homebrew 2 element quad and a1/4 wave whip Which I set up in the shack when required. Normally for talking to the local radio club and local repeater. I may in the future put these in the roof space also. Other antennas are magnetic loops tuning from 7 MHz to 28MHz.

Sometimes it is best to have individual antennas for each band. At a friends house we installed a homebrew magnetic loop antenna tuned to 14.070 MHz for use on psk31. Also a wire antenna which can tune to the 30m and 40m bands. I myself used to only have one for 80m. Which allowed me to work around Europe on 80m.

So don't spend all your money at once on commercial antennas. Especially if you are mounting them indoors.

I use one of the first FT897 (not the D version). They have receive wideband pre amps switched on as standard. Using the IPO and ATT control may improve the received signal quality when using internal antennas.

Good luck
73's GW0NVN N1XIH
Jun 23rd 2012, 00:48

gw0nvn

Try this

http://www.arrl.org/limited-space-and-indoor-antennas

GW0NVN N1XIH
Jun 25th 2013, 22:31

68spc

I know this is an old post but I just got a Diamond HFV-5 that seems to be the same as the Comet. I used it during Field Day and thought it worked fine for what it was. I switched back and forth between that and a 10M dipole wire and it seemed to be the same. I also made contacts on 6M both local in WI and distance to FL and TX. I say it isn't a bad choice for a minimal antenna that can be put up on a rake handle in your yard. Which is what I did to use 15M from WI to NY...

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn