ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Clandestine Ant. in Park Model

Jun 28th 2012, 13:49

KD8NJY

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I winter in Florida in a Park Model- a small trailer made of aluminum siding and steel roof. I live in a resort that does not allow antennas (though a few are there). The Park model faces North and of course the peak of the roof line is only about 15 feet. In order to get into Ohio, my other home state, I would need to have a dipole antenna going east to west, I think.

I am going to be painting the roof line trim (aluminum gutters) this fall so will have a reason to be on the ladder.

Would I have any success in the 20/40/80 ranges using an end feed with Icom tuner or a regular dipole that would only be about 50 feet total? I assume I will have to stand off a little bit, and call the line a lightning arrester. I really am at a loss for doing this project.

I do have permission to use an antenna mounted on my truck but that would mean running a coax into the house every time I want to work the airwaves. HELP!
Jun 28th 2012, 19:36

W1VT

Super Moderator

The best bands for Florida to Ohio are likely to be 20 and 40 meters. You antenna is too low for 80 to be effective--unless you are lucky enough to have a mostly salt water "ground." Signals are likely to be best on 20, but the openings may be relatively short compared to 40 meter openings. A center fed dipole is typically the least amount of work, though the end fed idea seems simpler initially. End fed wire works best when you have a substantial ground--such as a bunch of radials--that negates the simple idea for most folks. Unless you run low power or QRP, it is hard to ignore the problems with RF currents on the outside of coax shields and mic cables. But, QRP is certainly an option if you run CW or the digital modes.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jul 5th 2012, 23:17

gw0nvn

Three suggestions

Lay some perminent cables from your Park Home to a disguised post, Mail box, bird table etc. Where you park your truck. Then use patch leads to the equipment. If the HF set has a remote head you could just transfer this to your Park Home.

The other idea is to remotely control the hf equipement using a low power 2m or 70cms hand held.

Finally you may be able to try a magnetic loop antenna or a DDRR antenna as part of the roof of your Park Home. The ARRL website has plenty of articles. Try " A 40m DDRR Loop by W6WYQ"

73's GW0NVN N1XIH

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn