ARRL

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

INSTALLING A HUSTLER MODEL 4 OR 5 BTV

Jul 4th 2012, 23:25

N2GVO

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'VE DONE THE RESEARCH AND HAVE DECIDED ON EITHER THE MODEL 4 OR 5 BTV VERTICAL ANTENNA. NEED SOME FEEDBACK ON MY INSTALL. I HAVE A GARDEN THAT IS ENCLOSED BY A WIRE FENCE(80X40). I'M THINKING OF MOUNTING THE ANTENNA IN ONE CORNER OF THE GARDEN AND ATTACHING A RADIAL TO THE WIRE FENCE AND PLACING REMAINING RADIALS IN A SEMI CIRCLE PATTERN IN FRONT OF THE ANTENNA. THIS LOCATION IS SOMEWHAT OPEN AS THE CLOSEST TREE IS 25FT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

THANKS,
JERRY
N2GVO
Jul 5th 2012, 07:46

KB0HAE

You have picked a good antenna, and it should work pretty well. I would replace all of the nuts, bolts, and screws with stainless steel or brass ones. The more radials the better. With a tuner, the antenna may work on more than 4 or 5 bands.

You might want to think about an 80m inverted v antenna. It only needs 1 support, and should fit diagonally on your lot.
Dec 30th 2012, 21:34

AK1T

I have a old 5BTV which has been disassembled. The markings are gone on the traps, hence there are 24 ways to put the antenna together. I've tried about 6 but am too darn old to continue! Can anyone tell me a more direct way to determine the bands for the traps?
Dec 31st 2012, 14:51

W1VT

Paul N8ITF has a page on assembling the 5BTV.

http://home.comcast.net/~n8itf/hustler.htm

You can download a PDF that shows the physical dimensions of the traps.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer