ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

starter radio for technician license?

Jul 27th 2012, 00:34

KI4SSQ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have had a tech license for several years. Have retired and now have time to explore ham radio. Several people have told me I need to buy a 2 meter radio-I have never owned a ham radio. Would this be a good radio to start with? Any suggestions?
Jul 27th 2012, 15:04

W1VT

Super Moderator

Hi Charles,

What your you buy depends on what you want to do--it wouldn't make sense to get a fast sports car to move refrigerators and furniture around.

A 2 meter radio is good for local communication. While handhelds are inexpensive, their limited range may be an issue. They also have poor receivers that can't handle interference as well as mobile radios. A mobile radio may be a better choice if you are starting out.

Your tech license also gives you CW privileges--it is quite possible to work the world on HF CW with a relatively modest station. However, if you want to explore HF voice or digital, it is well worth the effort for most hams to upgrade to General class. 10 meters hasn't really opened as well as most hams would like in the past few years--access to the the other HF bands on voice/digital would be quite useful for most hams.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jul 28th 2012, 23:12

KI4SSQ

Thanks Zack, one more question-I have looked a hand held and a mobile 2 meter radio. Leaning toward the mobile. To use a mobile in my vehicle, would I need special wiring for the DC power?

Jul 29th 2012, 01:17

W1VT

Super Moderator

It is a good idea to run wires directly to the battery through the firewall if you are running a modern 2M radio that puts out 50+ watts--these radios draw enough current that you have to worry about voltage drops through wiring.

http://www.arrl.org/mobile-stations

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/protected/Group/Members/Technology/tis/info/pdf/0101097.pdf
The Quest for Power--Part 1
QST January 2001, p. 97 (Radios To Go)
Detailed tips on how to get power from your automobile's battery to your mobile station.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Apr 12th 2013, 18:34

NOMADBUZZ

Hi Tech. I also am just starting to become involved with armature radio. I am studying for my general license and would like advice on the purchase of a radio that would be good for a new general license operator. I am leaning to the purchase of an Icom IC7000 160-6 meter, 2, 70cen radio. Any ideas of anything else that would be better in the $1400.00 range?

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn