ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Driving and Transmitting

Aug 2nd 2012, 21:48

tocoinaphrase

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Many states outlaw cell phone use while driving. Does this apply to HAM Radio use?

Is there a need (legal need that is) for a blue-tooth hands free device to operate?
Aug 3rd 2012, 14:41

KB0HAE

As far as I know, Amateur Radio operation is not covered by these laws. Studies that I have read have stated that operating an Amateur radio while driving can be a distraction, it is not nearly as distracting as talking on a cell phone. That is because only one person can talk at a time via simplex or a repeater, On a cell phone, both parties can talk at once. Thus it requires more concentration to talk on a cell phone.

I would still not talk on Amateur Radio while driving in heavy traffic though...
Aug 3rd 2012, 19:01

K0RGR

Recently, on an episode of Ham Nation, it was stated that the 'hands free' law in California that was supposed to have a ham radio exemption does not, in fact, have one. I believe Ontario, Canada has such a law that does apply to hams, too.

Actually, the Bluetooth idea isn't a bad one. We could use more Bluetooth adapters and headsets.

I do worry a little bit when I'm doing mobile CW what some lawyer could make out of that. I don't use it in any kind of traffic, either. But we're getting too many of these overly-broad laws based on pseudo-science or no science at all.
Mar 9th 2016, 16:51

KK6ZSA

I have a friend that is former naval aviator and commercial pilot. Have flown with him and I'm amazed at the task load, especially landing in instrument conditions which required him to fly the aircraft, maintaining altitude, course, rate of decent, changing aircraft configuration, and communicating with controllers, including changing frequencies, all without visual reference. Asked him how he managed the task load. His reply, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate in that order. Aviate - fly the aircraft so you don't crash, Navigate - know where you are and where you're going so you don't fly into something, Communicate - last talk. He added that things could get quite busy while landing aboard the carrier at night. When that happened pilots would acknowledge controllers and LSOs by double key their microphone which produced audible double clicks to tell them "I heard you." We should follow the applicable laws and in this order, Drive, Navigate, & Communicate.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn