ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

certifying CW receiving competency

Oct 2nd 2012, 11:24

VK4KF

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Our Club here in Brisbane Queensland Australia, The Bayside District Amateur Radio Society, is trialing a scheme of promoting Morse Code skills by testing amateurs and issuing certificates of competency in Morse code at speeds ranging from 5 wpm to 40 wpm At the 5 wpm over 3 minutes the error accepted are uncorrected errors of 3 characters out of the 75 characters or 4%. Am I correct in applying the same error rate at 40wpm with accepting 24 uncorrected errors over 3 minutes?

Is this 4% error rate about right or are there other views on judging competency in receiving?

Ken Fuller VK4KF
Oct 2nd 2012, 13:03

W1VT

Super Moderator

The ARRL's code proficiency certificate is for one minute of perfect copy--this allowed me to get my 25 wpm endorsement copying W1AW from Honolulu Hawaii--I only had a minute of good propagation to work with!

Zack Lau W1VT
Oct 2nd 2012, 15:31

K2LAZ

If you are too far for good reception of W1AW, you can get it from their Echolink node; although it may be at an incovenient time of day (night) for AU.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn