ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

ts-430 mic

Oct 25th 2012, 03:47

AE7IS

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Help...when I puch the ptt on the original mic I get nothing,no red light no meter movement nothing. when I use vox I get the red transmit light on but no meter movement, same when I use the transmit switch on the transmiter. where should I look first and what can I check to try and get this working? Idont spend much time transmitting, in two years Ive probably called cq 10 times and gotten a response twice (maybe this iswhy) I have had the unit checked out by a retired kenwood tech but didnt have the mike checked. any help is appreciatted
Oct 25th 2012, 11:36

KB0HAE

Hi. Is the mic you are talking about an MC-42s or MC-43s? In any case, the mic might not be wired correctly. You should check the wiring at the mic plug, and in the mic itself. The mic could have been wired for a different radio, or even have a bad cord.

When using vox on USB or LSB you should not have tp press the PTT at all, just talk in the mic. Have you read the manual about how to set the mic gain in LSB and USB modes? Do you understand the process? Usung the Send switch on the radio is like using the PTT switch when in LSB or USB mode.

ttyl
Oct 25th 2012, 12:37

W1VT

Super Moderator

Whether you see meter movement depends on what the meter is set to--there should be no movement when set to the normal ALC position. You will get some movement when set to IC, or collector current, when you talk into the mic, but the meter is too slow to read accurately for voice SSB. If you just key a radio on SSB, it is common to see no output power or collector current--you only see the meter move when you talk.

It is very common for a wire in the mic cord to break near a handheld microphone--I've shortened mic cords numerous times to repair this problem. It is a very good idea to take pictures of the wires with a digital camera, as color codes for wires are rather unreliable--certainly not worth the effort to locate when repairing an old used radio--unless you were the one to record them!

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn