ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

ICANN has new gTLDs. Time for a .ham gTLD?

Nov 30th 2012, 03:19

KK4MOR

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Late last year, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers created a new program (popularly called "New gTLDs") for generic top level domains. You can learn about it at http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/. Instead of domains going through a lengthy approval and acceptance process by ICANN with a limited number of gTLDs allowed (taking years for new gTLDs to be added), ICANN will now accept applications from any corporation or organization to create a new generic top level domain, and provided certain rules are met and no obvious roadblocks are in place, the gTLD will be created. (This is a simplistic description, but in short it's WAAAY easier to create new gTLDs now.)

This seems like a great opportunity for the Amateur Radio community to improve their presence on the web, and the ARRL seems like just the organization to be in charge of managing the gTLD.

What do y'all think about (or is anyone already working on?) a ".ham" gTLD. In my imagination it would be restricted to authorized Amateur Radio activity. For example, any person with an Amateur Radio call sign (and only than person) would be able to register a domain name with his or her callsign. My domain would be "kk4mor.ham," for example. Also, certain recognized organizations (such as ARRL) could have domain names in the .ham space ("arrl.ham").

Thoughts?

KK4MOR
Nov 30th 2012, 13:37

N0NB

Personal preference, I guess. I'd prefer 'aro' for Amateur Radio Operator myself. Overall, though, it would be nice to have a TLD that is amateur radio specific as I settled on '.us' some years ago as I'm not a .com nor a .org nor a .net.

Then there is the 44.x.x.x IPv4 address range which is specifically assigned to "ampr.org" which I understand is "AMateur Packet Radio". So that probably shouldn't be confused with this idea of an amateur radio TLD.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us
Nov 30th 2012, 19:53

KK4MOR

I can understand .aro, but I feel like .ham would be more universally recognized, as many non-AROs know what Ham Radio is but don't know what ARO stands for. Just my 2ยข on that point.

KK4MOR
Dec 2nd 2012, 02:47

aa6e

Your callsign + .net (or .com or .us if you want) is very likely to be available today without any new gTLD. I use .net because networking and communications are more or less what hams do.

Administering a TLD would be burdensome for ARRL or anyone else, if done right. There are thorny issues of who qualifies, whether there should be charging, along with technical operational problems. I don't see a benefit that justifies the hassle. How many hams are likely to jump for a new domain registration after all?

If you had $50K a year (to pick a number) for internet things related to ham radio, is a gTLD and the associated admin work where you'd spend it? I'd say probably not, but it is interesting to ask what are the priorities for new ham internet services?

73 Martin AA6E
aa6e.net
Mar 20th 2016, 13:36

Rodneytanner01

How about for the domain to be with hamradio.
See sample below
www.wm4rt.hamradio

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn