ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Digital QST crashes constantly on iPad3

Dec 21st 2012, 15:01

K9AO

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am using a fully updated (iOS 6) iPad 3 with 64 GB or memory (wireless and Verizon 4g) that constantly crashes when reading QST. I've been on my wireless connection for the crashes.

The steps to cause the crash are as follows:

Select a QST to read.
Select read (not download).
Begin reading.
Swipe to turn pages quickly as if you are returning to the place last read.
After a few fast page turns, the app crashes back to the desktop.

I do see the cache holding what was read.

I can see this behavior every time I am in reading (not download mode, I haven't tested the failure in download so it may be there too) and it happens after a bunch of fast page turns every time.

QST looks great on the iPad by the way. Really nice. But we need to get the iPad app fixed.

No issues on the iPad other than the QST app.
Dec 25th 2012, 19:36

VA7GP

I also have an iPad3 (64GB, wifi, no cel-capability). The QST app worked OK for me at first in October - I had downloaded just about all issues, and read/browsed a couple.

Then an update. At first, the app fired up, but I had terrible trouble viewing covers, and couldn't download or read anything :-(

I followed the FAQ steps, restarting my iPad and removing/reinstalling the QST app... Now, every time I try to start the QST app, it crashes back to the desktop immediately. No other apps (mis-)behave like this. I briefly see the ARRL splash screen, then right back to the desktop.

I'm fully up-to-date with iOS 6.0.1, bone-stock and lightly-used ipad with 1/2-dozen other apps (I use my iPad almost exclusively as an eReader, with Stanza and iBooks principally).
Jul 6th 2013, 13:45

IK2HEW

Hi all, I've the same issue as VA7GP, IPad 2 and IOS 5.1. I was never able to read a single QST..... Please help !!

Pino, ik2hew
Jul 11th 2014, 07:41

KQ8Z

I also have the same problem. QST crashes and returns to the desktop immediately !
73, George KQ8Z, C6AZZ, GM0IIO
Jul 11th 2014, 14:27

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.arrl.org/news/reminder-concerning-qst-ios-app
Recent news report about this issue.
Jul 22nd 2014, 03:01

N0ANE

The process of app updates has been a plague in various areas of the iOS experience. Why do we see such awful releases without serious testing? Formerly I could read most of the magazine with only an occasional crash. Still overall a good experience. Based on that I stopped delivery of the printed QST. Now with the "updates," the app is useless. I am fed up with the slow fixes and want to return to print. I've spent the last 15 minutes on the ARRL site trying to find how to edit that, waiting for very slow service. I'm unable to find the setting for receiving print QST. Frustrating! Thought we were all technology friendly and ready for dedicated digital use. Not so.
Jul 24th 2014, 16:18

N0ANE

Many thanks to Diane who saw my post and replied by restoring my print copies.

I uninstalled the QST app from my iPad Air and reinstalled it. Then I let the app fully download the magazine I wanted to read (which can be very slow). That seemed to stop the crashes and I was able to move through the magazine quite smoothly.

As was first posted, it seems the problems occur when reading from the network, rather than as a downloaded file.
Aug 6th 2014, 19:28

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.arrl.org/news/updated-qst-ios-app-now-available

The Digital QST iOS app has been updated with bug fixes and new features. Please download Version 2.1.0.226. You may view the fixes and changes in the “What’s New in Version” section in the iTunes App Store.
Feb 24th 2019, 06:38

WA2IVD

My digital QST iOS app has been working okay for a while. Then, suddenly with the March 2019 edition of QST, it crashes everytime I try to download it. I’ve reset the iPad and even deleted and re-installed the app. Same problem. I can read the issue live, online. Downloading individual pages also seems to work, but the app just instantly closes if I try to download the whole edition. Anyone have any ideas? Running iOS 12.1.4 and have 32G free out of 64G.
Feb 26th 2019, 08:25

W1VT

Super Moderator

This is a new bug that Apple and PageSuite are working on that only seems to affect the Ipad.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn