ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Remote HF Stations QSL Card

Dec 28th 2012, 17:04

N6INMGLENN

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi All,

Happy New year to everyone. I have a question. If you work another HF Station via remote (i.e. remotehams.com) and get a QSL Card does it count for anything (i.e. DXCC) Or for DXCC is the requriement to contact a distant station from the RF Source to the destination RF Station and not through a VoIP Gateway?

73's Glenn N6INM/9 Mudelein, IL
Dec 28th 2012, 19:23

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-rules
6. All contacts must be made with amateur stations working in the authorized amateur bands or with other stations licensed or authorized to work amateurs. Contacts made through "repeater" devices or any other power relay methods (other than satellites for Satellite DXCC) are not valid for DXCC credit.

9. All stations must be contacted from the same DXCC entity. The location of any station shall be defined as the location of the transmitter. For the purposes of this award, remote operating points must be located within the same DXCC entity as the transmitter and receiver.
Dec 30th 2012, 13:23

N6INMGLENN

These rules need amending as we are now in the 21st Century. As antenna restrictions become more severe throughout the country, remotecontrolled stations like these offer a viable alternative for enjoying Amateur Radio. The FCC Recognizes it and FCC Part
97.3(a)(12) and (38) dealing with the definition of “control operators” and “remote operation explains it and allowed. So what's the problem? Why can't the ARRL recognize remote stations? DXCC Rule 9 allows remote operation, it requires that the operator of any station be located in the same DXCC entity is ridiculous and not in touch with currently technology and is not taking a step in the 21st Century. HF remotes are growing...Echolink is growing and ILRP. If the ARRL cant honor new innovations for DXCC then change the leagues name from the ARRL to the AARL (American Amateur Radio League) Because Relay or remoting is not recognized for awards or technological innovation. Understand that some DXers feel that the difficulty of working DX is greater in some parts of the US than others.and the small guy suffers. What about hams that are disabled or in rest homes that want to work DX and use the remote HF stations over their computers and be qualified for awards? They are at a disadvantage too.. The rules for DXCC need to be looked at and would like to know who is the ultimate decision maker when it comes to the rules? I have rejoined ARRL last week after many years not being a member due to my decreased activity in the hobby. But something needs to change here if we are to set the standards for innovation and the state of the art technology within the Amateur Communications community and for newcomers to the hobby....73's

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn