ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Where to find user manuals

Jan 2nd 2013, 22:50

N5REZ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I recently *thought* I had lost my user manual for my Yaesu FT-530. After searching high and low on the internet, I finally found a pdf file of the manual I wanted. Unfortunately, it was probably done many years ago when scanners weren't quite as proficient as they are nowadays.

After doing a thorough cleaning of my office, I found my manual and decided to scan it and make it available for anyone who might need it. I scanned every page so that if one wanted to print it, it would all be there. I also scanned the cheat sheet. And it's in the original color--although there's not much color to it.

So, it is available. I just don't know where to post it. I'm not finding a forum on ARRL that seems suitable. Can one of the moderators tell me if there's a forum on ARRL that I might post this file?

TIA
N5REZ
Jan 3rd 2013, 06:55

KB0HAE

Hi Tia. If www.mods.dk does not have this manual already, you can send it to them. The problem you encountered with the quality of the manual you downloaded is that a hugh quality scan of a manual can be a pretty large file. If a web site stores many manuals, thats a lot of storage. Also, some website operators are charged by how much is downloaded from their site, so larger files mean higher cost to them.

Yahoo Groups have a 5 megabyte limit for files uploaded to their files sections. A high quality scanned manual could easily be much larger than 5 megabytes.

The only part of the manual that really needs to be really high quality are pictures and schematics, The text parts only need to be high enough quality to be clearly read when mqgnufues by about 2 times or so (for those of us whose eyes are not so good anymore!).

TTYL
Jan 3rd 2013, 14:07

N0NB

I'll second the suggestion to provide a copy to mods.dk. As a bonus you'll probably receive full member benefits for a time which allow generous download limits.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us
Jan 4th 2013, 19:14

N5REZ

Thanks, Guys! It is a fairly large file (297 megs) but I have it stored on my Dropbox folder so someone can follow the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xk877p3iyy4oik/YaesuFT-530.pdf
to it there and no one has to store it on their own server.

N0NB, I thought about mods.dk but wasn't sure if it belonged there or not. But if you want to put the link on there that would be great! And it wouldn't take up much of the site's storage. Should I just post it there on mods.dk or does it have to be approved or what?
Jan 8th 2013, 20:31

N5REZ

I just contacted mods.dk about posting it. We'll see . . .

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn