ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

emailing QSLs ?

Jan 25th 2013, 23:49

N4AAB

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I was reading the Technician class exam book and noticed snail mailing of QSL cards is still on going.

If the person I am sending the QSL to has the capability, couldn't I sometimes email a pdf or png file of the QSL card ? After checking with them first, to see if their email account can handle the file size.

Thanks,
Jim ( no license yet)
Jan 26th 2013, 00:42

W1VT

Super Moderator

Hi Jim,

Snail mailing of QSLs is still done, as some awards, most notably DXCC, does not accept cards printed on your computer, as they are too easily forged.

http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/Index.cfm
This web site is set up for the exchange of electronic QSLs.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jan 26th 2013, 18:04

N4AAB

I can understand that. But I would hope there was some way to verify such eQSLs so they could be accepted. Months vs minutes wait time.
Jan 26th 2013, 21:57

W1VT

Super Moderator

There is actually a big disadvantage to the immediate confirmation of contacts--it encourages big stations to get bigger so they can brag that they were the very first stations to work a DX-pedition--and can prove it!

In particular, the invention of the leaderboard, which shows that a big station has worked a DX-pedition on every band/mode combination, is a bit disconcerting to average stations struggling to work that very same operation just once, on any band and any mode.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jan 27th 2013, 17:55

N4AAB

Ah, I was unaware of such silliness as a leaderboard for had radio contests. I play a few online games, and they have the same thing there. I find leaderboards boring.

I can see bragging about getting something done, but not at the expense of someone else accomplishing the same thing.

Jim

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn