ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Antenna Modeling for Beginners

Feb 8th 2013, 18:19

WA0CBW

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I thought I would try my hand at antenna modeling and the ARRL "Antenna Modeling for Beginners" book looked like the place to start. I got as far as page 2-7 where my learning came to a halt. The second exercise on page 2-6 describes adding a second length of wire (segment) to to the first. The first paragraph on page 2-7 indicates to "connect End 1 of the new wire 2 to End 2 of the existing dipole wire by entering "W2E1" in the End 1 Cell for Wire 2 and tabbing to the Y cell." Figure 2.5 shows it entered in the "Conn" column. That column won't allow be to enter anything. So where do I enter "W2E1"?

Bill
Feb 8th 2013, 19:41

W1VT

Super Moderator

I'd highly recommend visiting the product notes page for the book.

http://www.arrl.org/antenna-modeling-for-beginners

Making Connections Between Wires

The Exercise on page 2-6 instructs the reader to "Connect End 1 of the new Wire 2 to End 2 of the existing dipole wire by entering "W2E1" in the End 1 cell for Wire 2 and tabbing to the Y cell." First, you should enter "W1E2", not "W2E1". (Thanks to G3OUA for pointing that out!) Now, to be able to enter "W1E2", the cursor should be in the End 1 X cell for Wire 1 and not in the Conn cell. Nothing can be entered in the Conn cell - EZNEC displays information there but it can not be edited. Wire connections such as "W1E2" can be entered in any of the X, Y, or Z cells for a Wire End.

For example, after creating Wire 2, place the cursor in Wire 2's End 1 X cell and enter "W1E2". This will connect End 1 of the new wire you just added to End 2 of Wire 1.

If you are adding and connecting multiple wires, such as in the exercise at the beginning of Chapter 5 in which a square loop is made, don't be afraid to experiment - keep the View Antennas window open in order to see the effects of each action you take. Or it may be simpler to add just one wire at a time and connect it. If you don't get the results you expected, either edit the information entered for each wire or delete the wire and try again. (Thanks to Jerry KM3K for these and other suggestions)

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Feb 14th 2013, 03:06

WA0CBW

Zack,

Thanks for the help. The product notes for the book were most helpful. Once I got beyond entering the "connection dialog" it was smooth sailing, uh modeling. I will be purchasing a full version of the software in the near future. Again, thanks for the help.

Bill

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn