ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

SWAN 500CX voltage problem

Feb 26th 2013, 21:18

N9JAF

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Have a Swan 500CX that I purchased back in 85, it's been on the shelf for about 25 years. Have recently begun to try and get it up and running again. The receiver seems to work well, as well as it ever did, but no power on transmit. Have gone through and found that V3(6GK6) Driver has no 6.3 volts AC @ pin 4, the tube is cold to the touch. The PA tubes, V4 and V5 have the 6.3 volts AC. Have traced through the wiring, but haven't yet discovered the problem. I would appreciate any advice as to where to look, and how to get the required voltage to the tube. Don't want to put alot of money into the rig, but would like to get it going for old times sake. Thanks for any help. KA9PIE
Feb 27th 2013, 00:01

W1VT

Super Moderator

As an economy measure, the filament of V3 is in series with the filament for V12--you should make sure that the filament of V12 is good.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Feb 28th 2013, 00:03

N9JAF

Thx for the info Zak, I have not checked that yet, but will give it a look. I figured that Switch 7(Cal./Rec./Trans.) where I traced the V3 wire should have 6.3 volt feed to connect the voltage depending upon switch position. Hope to figure it out, really appreciate the help.

John Fairburn KA9PIE

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn