ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Six Meter FM

Feb 27th 2013, 12:34

KB5DOH

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
There seems to be no real expert on the band plan and everyone has a different answer to my quest and points to arrl as their sorace of proof, so here is my question to ARRL on 50.200 I have been holding a Net, and do to technical problems have switched to FM mode from SSB mode one person told me FCC restricked this, another tells me the ARRL restricked this and another said qoute
"50.3 to 50.6 are noted as "all modes", while 50.2 sits squarely in the SSB/CW window. No FCC rules for this, but they have noted that Band plans supported by the Amatuer community is best practice." so now I ask can I or can't I operate the Net on 50.200.

Here is another reply: "You mentioned tonight that you were not sure if you could operate FM on 50.2 MHz legally. There is a chart on page 49 of the February 2013 QST that shows Amateur Band Usage. As I interpret the chart 50.0 to 50.1 MHz is CW only. From 50.1 to 54.0 MHz RTTY, data, phone, video, and CW is permissible. Nothing is said about what kind of phone so I would think FM or SSB on 50.2 MHz would be acceptable."

Feb 28th 2013, 05:13

KB0HAE

It is my understanding that while there is nothing illegal about your net operating on 50.2Mhz, if there was a dispute between the participants in your net and SSB operators, the FCC would would probably side wih the SSB ops. While band plans are not enforced by the FCC, the FCC encourages U.S. hams to follow them.

There are several 6M frequencies listed in the ARRL band plan as FM simplex. It might be better to switch your net to one of those frequencies.

If you don't mind my asking, what were the technical problems that caused you to switch to FM?
Mar 31st 2013, 04:59

KM3F

What is the reason for doing FM in the SSB portion of the band plan that could not be done in the FM portion above 52 mhz?
Normally vertical polorization is used for net use on this band due to the wide area and close in area of coverge for the purposes of the net..
Expect some time to be challenged when working FM in 50.200 +/- range, especially when the band is open to long distance contacts.
You may do it many times and be legal but expect it may happen.
Let us know.
Good luck.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn