ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

PSK on a TS-590 s ?

Mar 24th 2013, 14:05

kb1yvr

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Using a USB connection between the 590 and a Dell Latitude D430. Already loaded the COM Port driver and the ARCP programs. The Dell Is communicating correctly with the 590 thru the ACRP.

Now trying to get started with PSK. FLDigi has been downloaded and appears to be running. I am seeing text corresponding to Rx transmissions, however when I attempt to either answer a CQ or initiate a CQ it appears I am not being heard.

The FLDigi waterfall show the signal going out and the 590 transceiver appears to be switching to Tx in response to the computer but I am not seeing any response to my Tx.

Any suggestions? I am stumped. I've read the Beginner's guide and searched G3NRW's 590 Resource Page, but so far no luck. Must be something really simple I am overlooking.
Mar 24th 2013, 15:51

KB0HAE

Hi. While I am not familiar with your particular setup, it would seem that there are 3 possibilities. One is that no PSK signal is being transmitted although the transmitter is being keyed. Another is that a distorted signal is being transmitted, one that is not able to be properly interpreted by the receiving station. The third is that propagation is not allowing you signal to be heard.

I suggest listening to your signal on a second receiver, or better yet, getting another local ham to help test things out. You might also do some research on the internet to see if others with similar sertups to yours are having problems, and what solutions they have found.
Mar 25th 2013, 14:20

kb1yvr

Thanks for the reply KB0HAE. As a new Ham I have only one transceiver at the moment, but I will ask a fellow ham who is PSK savvy to help me run some tests. I have not found similar problems mentioned on the net, but anytime anyone has any connectivity problem on the 590, the third party Virtual COM Port driver that in necessary to enable USB connections is always a favorite suspect. I am thinking this is not my problem because the COMPort is working as it should for phone operation with Kenwood's ARCP.
Mar 25th 2013, 15:33

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html
This web page can be used to see how well you are getting out on many of the digital modes.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Mar 26th 2013, 13:24

kb1yvr

Thanks W1VT for the resource.

Problem is resolved. I noticed that in the Windows sound card drop down menu Audio CODEC was not displayed. Is should have been.

In the fldigi Configure menu click Audio, then click Right Channel, then select Reverse left/Right channels. Without this the radio does not transmit a digital signal. Ian Wade G3NRW saves the day again with his excellent resource documents on TS-590 s. Here is the link with complete step by step instructions. Good luck all see on the waterfall.

http://pds23.egloos.com/pds/201209/12/64/HOWTO_TS-590S_digital_and_dv_v1.7.pdf

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn