ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Tom Wheeler, new FCC Chairman, good idea or bad?

Tom Wheeler, new FCC Chairman, good idea or bad?
Please login to vote!
May 3rd 2013, 06:05

Bart_KJ6BWB

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
http://www.arrl.org/news/president-obama-nominates-financier-and-former-telecom-executive-tom-wheeler-as-fcc-chairman So, I don't know anything about Tom Wheeler. What do you all think, is this going to be a good or bad or neutral thing for amateur radio or is it too soon to tell? Has Tom Wheeler said or done anything about amateur radio in the past?
May 7th 2013, 01:38

KA0ACE

on the new head of the FCC. IT WOULD BE GREAT IF HE WOULD GRANDFATHER NOVICES TO TECH LIKE THE DID WITH THE TECHS AND GENERAL LICENCES A FEW YEARS BACK.
May 17th 2013, 13:32

w2dz

This is quite a polarizing poll and I had to respond with "Who". Unfortunately we really know nothing about him. I did some research and found that he is now a venture capitalist. While on the face there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, he did make his millions in the telecommunications industry. Why would we want someone who has made millions in that industry now leading up the federal agency that oversees it? It strikes me as the fox guarding the henhouse. I would really hope that we, as in the League, do our due diligence here. the last thing any of us would want to see is another BPL fiasco because of back-room cronyism. Lets get him on record where he stands regarding our interests and make our mind known.

KA0SMD - The Techs that were grandfathered up, actually weren't. Back in the day Techs had to pass the Novice exams and were required to take Elements 2 and 3. I don't recall when, Element 3 was eliminated, but that created two classes of Tech, the Tech and Tech+, where the latter had Element 3 credit. It was the Tech+ licensees that were grandfathered up because the code portion was eliminated, but they had credit for Element 3. which is all that is required now for a General license.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn