ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Email forwards still slow or not working

May 18th 2013, 18:31

KA0MVK

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Can we get an update on the arrl.net email forwarding situation? It seems it is getting worse as I'm seeing delays of more than a day now on some emails and I've got some that don't appear to be going through at all.
May 18th 2013, 18:40

KA0MVK

Quick example: been trying to get set up on freedns.afraid.org for a couple days now. Had to resend the authentication email about 3 times. Never saw the first two, last one just came in after 1 minute while the arrlscan9.edgeni.net server held it (two received lines, one where it got it from the external email immediately after it was sent, one more after it sat on that server for a minute). This one at least only showed the delay on the forwarding server itself.
May 20th 2013, 15:04

kd8rap

I am also interested... I have tried set up my forewarding using a 4 different email accounts, and have not been able to recieve even one test email.
May 21st 2013, 09:36

W1VT

Super Moderator

kd8rap's issue may be with the membership profile, rather than the emailer, as I can't even find a default email address.
May 23rd 2013, 23:12

N4AAB

I tried the email forwarding, I received the test email. I sent it from one email address, to my arrl forwarding, and it arrived at the another of my email addresses. I didn't track the time taken, but it wasn't long. Probably about an hour or less.
May 24th 2013, 20:08

aa6e

FWIW. Email was forwarded from aa6e@arrl.net almost instantly.

It would help if ARRL could create an "E-services status" page that would tell how all the various servers are working - web, email, lotw, what-have-you. It would need to be on a server that's isolated from the rest of them. Info is now posted only on an ad-hoc basis, and it shows up in various places.

There are many ways to do this. For example http://its.yale.edu/system-status/all.

73 Martin AA6E
May 28th 2013, 10:32

N4AAB

I agree, a 'servers up' page is a good idea.
May 30th 2013, 12:39

n7xrd

It's day number 2 for me and no emails anyone figure out what's going on yet????
May 30th 2013, 22:18

K0STK

Quote by N7XRD
It's day number 2 for me and no emails anyone figure out what's going on yet?

I just sent two test mails to my arrl.net forward. One originating from my home mail-server and the other from gmail. Both were delivered in under 10 minutes. This is consistent with what I've observed in the past.

The only delivery failure I've observed is when I tried creating a freedns.afraid.org account (after reading KA0MVK's post).

You may want to check your profile and ensure that the "Email" box on your Account Information page lists the "real" address you want the mail forwarded TO (not the @arrl.net address). Then make sure that the "Opt-in to have a @arrl.net email alias" is checked.
May 31st 2013, 00:51

n7xrd

Quote by K0STK
Quote by N7XRD
It's day number 2 for me and no emails anyone figure out what's going on yet?

I just sent two test mails to my arrl.net forward. One originating from my home mail-server and the other from gmail. Both were delivered in under 10 minutes. This is consistent with what I've observed in the past.

The only delivery failure I've observed is when I tried creating a freedns.afraid.org account (after reading KA0MVK's post).

You may want to check your profile and ensure that the "Email" box on your Account Information page lists the "real" address you want the mail forwarded TO (not the @arrl.net address). Then make sure that the "Opt-in to have a @arrl.net email alias" is checked.

Well I did check and everything is set correctly I have been using this for years without a problem until about a month or so ago and today I received very few emails once again and have sent test emails which I have not received yet!! It is almost sure an email server issue!! I do not get any failures I just don't get the emails!
May 31st 2013, 03:47

K0STK

Quote by n7xrd
Well I did check and everything is set correctly I have been using this for years without a problem until about a month or so ago

Did you change the target address (e.g. destination) for your forwarder at the time this problem started occuring?

In my experience there is no problem sending from @gmail.com to @arrl.net. And the public MXes (which I admin) used by my personal domain have no problem with @arrl.net mail.

Quote by n7xrd
and today I received very few emails once again and have sent test emails which I have not received yet!! It is almost sure an email server issue!!

There are many possible explanations (all of which vary in plausibility). It's really hard to say for sure what the problem is without seeing mail server logs and/or bounce messages.

You might have changed your e-mail client, or it's settings, about a month ago and now your forwarded @arrl.net mail is landing in a spam/junk folder or possibly being deleted.

The e-mail provider for your target address may have changed their mail server configuration or anti-spam settings (which can include a wide variety of things) about a month ago and are now rejecting the forwarded @arrl.net mail.

The @arrl.net e-mail provider may have changed their mail server configuration about a month ago which caused your target address provider to start rejecting the forwarded mail.

The @arrl.net e-mail provider may have changed mail server configuration or anti-spam settings about a month ago and are now rejecting mail sent from the various providers you're using for testing.

In fact at pretty much any point in the chain there is the possibility that one of the ends of a link may have changed enough to interrupt the delivery. The trick is finding out where the problem is really occuring.

One thing I've learned from my experience as postmaster (for a non-trivial FOSS project) is that it is much easier to search for a problem in the mail server logs when I have the approximate date/time of the failed message along with the sender and recipient addresses or even the Message-ID.

So to trace this problem effectively you'll have to figure out who to contact (it should be postmaster@arrl.org, but not all domains support that address even though it is required by RFC5321) and send them a complete description of the various e-mail sources you've used for tests as well as the target address for your foward. It is possible that you may need to send a message that you know will fail to your @arrl.net address and then send as much information as possible (e.g. To, From, Date) to the postmaster so that they can search the mail server logs. Doing any less than this will not help get your problem resolved.

It also might help to search your various mail boxes for bounce messages.

Quote by n7xrd
I do not get any failures I just don't get the emails!

That's what I meant by a failure ... I did not receive the mail from afraid.org.
Jun 2nd 2013, 21:26

K0STK

It seems to me that at least a portion of the problems being reported might be due to the enforcement of SPF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework) by the arrl.net MX in conjunction with badly configured SPF records for certain sender's domains.

Jun 5th 2013, 20:06

W2KB

In the past couple or three weeks I have had several people tell me that my emails to W2KB@ARRL.net bounced. In the last several days I have received on the Meetup.com front page half the times I logged in a notice that email was bouncing. There have been a number of several hour long periods during which no mail arrived. I do not have any spam filters set (other than the standard filter in Outlook, but that is not the issue, and in any event any emails in the spam folder obviously were forwarded) and have not changed any configurations or ISP (Comcast) for years. This is definitely an issue that it not related to individual members.
Jun 5th 2013, 20:13

W2KB

Update. Tried a test message from my work email about 15 or 20 minutes ago via the ARRL and it has not arrived (nor any other forwarded email for about 3 hours). I just tried sending an email from my work email directly to my Comcast address (the one to which ARRL forwards) and it arrived in about 30 seconds.
Jun 8th 2013, 00:51

aa6e

Since I just acquired a comcast.net email address (not that I wanted one), I thought I'd set it up for ARRL forwarding as a test. Comcast.net has the reputation of being one of the fussier email receivers.

I just got a near instantaneous message transmitted from snet.net -> arrl.net -> comcast.net -> gmail.com.

So mark down one anecdotal success for the forwarding system. Successes are probably not reported too often.

73 Martin AA6E

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn